𝖙 𝖜 𝖊 𝖓 𝖙 𝖞 - 𝖔 𝖓 𝖊

We got to the Hawk's Nest at around midnight and JJ opened the door to get out before John B stopped him. "Yo, uh... so, uh, I think I'm gonna do this one by myself..." I looked him dead in the eyes but he just looked away from me. I sat back in my seat and leaned against the headrest. I wasn't actually that bothered about it. And this basically confirmed our suspicion, which meant that Sarah was acting off because she was macking on one of my best friends after kissing me back, so I was extremely pissed off with the both of them.

"Really?" JJ looked at him and then at me.

"What?" He played dumb.

"Nothin'."

"I don't want to spook Sarah with the peanut gallery." He looked at me, I could tell but I just stared out of the window.

"I just don't understand why we're involving her at all." Kie cut in.

"Kie, we're not involving her, okay? It's-- it's just, uh, like a--a business meeting... thing. Look, once we get what we need, we cut her loose, all right? Plus, we need the map." John B said, and that was the thing that pushed me over the edge.

"Yo. JB. If you're gonna kiss her and think about getting with her at least talk about her with a little respect. I know you like her I saw how you acted around her and spoke to her. It's pretty fucking obvious, so don't talk about her like she's not worth anything more than a favour, own that shit, you fucking wanker." He went silent after that, and so did I. I heard JJ snicker and then the door closed and he was gone.

"You okay Al?" JJ asked me, I think you did a pretty good job of getting through to him, at least. I looked at him and he smiled at me, and I could see the sympathy in his eyes. I knew he knew about my feelings for Sarah, and he knew it too. I smiled back at him, nodding my head before we all sat down and waited.

***

"Someone help!" I heard through the thunder. It was Sarah. "Please, somebody help!" I opened the door of the van and ran in the direction of her voice, the other three following me close behind. I got close enough to see John B on the floor in Sarah's arms.

"Sarah, what happened?" I shouted.

"I don't know what to do. He needs help. Topper shoved him."

"Where the hell is he?" I could hear the anger in JJ's voice and rested my hand on his shoulder to try and calm him down because, while I also wanted to stomp his head in I knew it wouldn't help anything right now.

"Oh, please, please, please get help. I don't care who. Just call someone." Sarah cried. JJ shouted at Pope to go and he ran off to get help.

"Pope, hurry!" I shouted after him.

"John B, stay with me." She kissed him and I knew it was selfish, but I felt a twinge in my heart. I also noticed the look on Kie's face. "Please don't leave me. John B?"

"Pope come on!" JJ shouted again.

***

I didn't hear about John B until the next day when I found out he was staying at Sarah's. I thought it was weird that Ward would stick up for him like that, I mean, when he found out I was friends with him I could tell he didn't approve, but hey, I was happy for him, he wouldn't have to hide from DCS anymore at least.

We met him at The Wreck the next day where he told us about his new living arrangement. As you would expect Kie was not happy at all. "I'm sorry. You're staying where?" She asked again.

"Tannyhill."

"So you're living with Sarah Cameron."

"Okay, look, the only reason I'm living there is because her dad bailed me out, right? And it's way better than foster care, which, by the way, is where I was about to go if Ward didn't--"

Pope cut him off. "Hey, so do you have a membership to the clubs now?"

"I don't know, Pope."

"Hey, that'd be fun. You could come to Midsummer's legally next year." I joked.

"He is not staying there until next year," Kiara said, giving me a stern look.

"What about those golf carts they drive around? You get one of them?" JJ continued.

"Does it come with a sweater vest, or do you have to buy one on your own?" Pope asked.

"Look, you promised. You said you weren't with her." Kie brought it back up.

"Bro, just own it. She got you." I advised, partly out of spite, and partly because he needed to just admit it.

"Look, if you wanna hang out with her, that's fine. Allie does, and it hasn't been a problem, but I'm letting you know now that I'm not doing anything with Sarah." She told him.

"Do you guys see her here?" John B asked, looking between them. "No, right. Okay. A little focus would be fantastic. We've got the map, right?"

"It's out of whack 'cause the guy was ganja'd when he drew it," JJ said.

"It's 'cause the coast has changed" Kie looked over at him.

"So we just have to look for landmarks that haven't changed," Pope explained.

"What about the old forts?" JB suggested.

"Battery Jasper." Kie pointed to a stone wall on the map.