𝖙 𝖍 𝖗 𝖊 𝖊

I woke up the next morning and Sarah was still asleep next to me except she had gone full spread eagle in the night and her leg was on top of me. I didn't want to move in fear of waking her so I just kind of snuggled back down and stared at the roof. I don't know how much time passed but it felt like around 45 minutes before she said, "What are you thinking about?" I didn't jump, surprisingly, I just turned to look at her. She was led on her side and leaning her head on her hand, leg still over me. 

"Nothing," I said smiling slightly.

"That's a lie. Spill." She said, looking at me expectantly.

"Not a lot really. Just how happy I am to be here, with my aunt and uncle, full disclosure, away from my father. I just really like it here, minus the beach fights, though they do add excitement, I will say." I looked down at her leg and she laughed. 

"Yeah, sorry about that, I do sort of spread myself out when I sleep." I started laughing too and nodded.

"No worries, you kept me warm." 

"What time is it?" She asked and I turned over to grab my phone from the bedside table.

"10:45."

"How long were you awake before I woke up and started asking you questions?"

"Not that long, probably only 45 minutes max."

"Okay good, I know how boring it can get waiting for everyone to wake up, it did seem like you were quite happy pondering your new life though."

"Ah yes, it's actually my favourite new activity believe it or not."

"Do you want to go get breakfast? We can go to The Wreck, they do really nice breakfast there."

"Sure." I agreed getting up. I got changed back into the same clothes I was wearing yesterday, deciding I would change later and put my hair up into a ponytail to try and hide how messy it now was. We went downstairs and everyone had already left except for Sarah's little sister who was sitting up on the island in their kitchen. "Hey. It's Wheezy right?"

"Yep, nice to meet you." She said beaming at me.

"Nice to meet you too, I'm Allie. Not that you asked."

She laughed lightly. "I love your accent by the way. It's really cool." I smiled and we said bye before leaving the house.

"So, your first night in the Outer Banks and you spent it with me. I'm honoured" She said and I smiled at her.

"Wouldn't have wanted to spend it anywhere else," I told her and she smiled back at me, throwing an arm over my shoulder as we walked into the restaurant. "This is where Kie works right?"

"Yeah." She said hesitantly. "Her parents own it."

"Yeah, I remember her telling me. Did something happen between you two? There seems to be a lot of tension there? If you don't mind me asking of course."

"No, no worries. I'd be curious too. We used to be best friends back in 9th grade. Until she called the cops on me anyway."

"She called the cops on you?" I asked surprised as we sat down opposite each other at a small table.

"Yep, for having a birthday party. I don't really hold it against her though, it was a while ago, we haven't spoken since though so there's still a decent amount of tension there." I nodded along as she spoke. As she finished a waitress came over to us and I looked up to see Kie standing there, smiling at me and avoiding eye contact with Sarah.

"Hey, Allie. Come to try breakfast at the best diner in the OBX I see?"

"Of course, it would be wrong for me to go anywhere else on my first proper day here."

"So, what would you like then?"

"What would you recommend, you're the expert after all."

"Well, JJ's probably the best person to ask actually, he's the one who eats here the most, but I think he would probably recommend the sausage and egg muffin, it's what he gets pretty much exclusively, same with John B to be fair."

"I guess I'll go for that then."

"Same for me," Sarah said handing her both menus. "I'll get a latte too please."

"Me too, why not?" I said and she smiled at us again and walked away.

"Nice to see you're making friends pretty easily then."

"What can I say? I'm just a very likeable person apparently." I said jokingly. After we finished eating I told her I should probably go home to make sure my aunt and uncle knew I was still alive and she walked me back to their house. I went in and shut the door behind me to be greeted by them both on the couch watching TV.

"Welcome home kiddo." My uncle said pausing the telly and turning to look at me, his eyes immediately going to the bruise and cut on my face. "What the hell happened to you. We only let you out for a night. Getting into bar fights already?"

"No, nothing like that, I just got in the way of an elbow and got clocked," I said.

"You know what, it could be worse, and your accent makes me believe every word you say so you're in the clear for now Allie." My aunt said standing up and hugging me. I did slightly tense up since no one had shown me physical affection in I don't know how long, but I settled into it quickly as she embraced me. "We missed you." She smiled at me.

"I missed you guys too," I said rolling my eyes at them.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Henry asked, the creases at the corner of his eyes still showing concern.

"Yes, I'm fine Henry, don't worry about me. I can take a hit." I said sarcastically.

"Okay, okay. Well, I take it you've already eaten considering it's basically lunchtime now."

"Yeah, we ate The Wreck, it was really nice actually."

"I mean it is the best restaurant in the OBX so I can't blame you."

"Yes, I've heard," I said before heading upstairs to finish unpacking.