Twenty

April 22, 1998

She didn't come. Maybe Jungwon forgot to tell her. Or maybe something came up and she couldn't come. I didn't do anything to upset her did I? Damn it I probably did. She could have at least called and told me she wasn't going to come—I was waiting on her all afternoon and evening.

"Why do you like you're about to shit your pants?" I turn and see Hanbi walking up to me. Everytime I see her I'm reminded of Hanni. I miss her so much, especially lately. If she was here—I think I wouldn't be having such a hard time. She always knows what to say to make me feel better.

"I'm just worried. Did you see Haerin yesterday?" She looked at me like I was the dumbest person on earth, making me shift a little bit uncomfortably.

"Of course I did I go to fucking school with her you dimwit." Sometimes I forget this is Mrs. Pham—she would never talk to me like this. I'm like her favorite person in the whole world. I groan rolling my eyes at the shorter girl.

"Well yeah I know that. Did she seem upset or something?" Hanbi sighed looking around like she was looking for someone.

"Look, I know she ditched you yesterday. I think she went to Danielle's house or something I don't know." Danielle? You've got to me fucking kidding me. It's almost laugh worthy how I thought she had been sick or something bad happened to her, but no—she was hanging out with her ex. I turn around beginning to leave their highschool campus when Hanni stops me. "Where are you going?"

"Home."

"What about Haerin? You always pick her up from school." I frown, shaking my head.

"Maybe she can ask Dani." That was snarky I know. She can hang out with wherever she wants, but ditching me without giving me any notice at all to hang out with Danielle is too much for me. I turn around again to walk away, but someone else is calling my name. Haerin.

"Minji!" I turn around bracing myself for impact and then boom the shorter girl locked me in her tight embrace. I looked behind her and there was Danielle and Hyein. I gently remove her away from me.

"Can I talk to you for a minute?" She nodded her head however she did look confused. I looked back over at Danielle who was smiling at me, but I just couldn't bring myself to smile back. I grabbed Haerin's hand and pulled her towards the exit of the school.

"What's wrong? I dropped her hand, putting it back to my side as I walked alongside her.

"Why didn't you come over yesterday?" Realization finally hit the shorter girl as she stopped walking. She wasn't looking at me—in fact she seemed really nervous. Please god make it nothing, don't let it be serious.

"I wasn't feeling well." She lied. She couldn't even look at me. Why is she lying to me? Did she do something with her? Did something happen between them? I feel anger come over me. I can tolerate a lot of things, but a liar isn't one of them.

"Well you better get home and rest then." I say with a frown on my face causing the shorter girl to look up at me.

"Aren't you going to come with me?" She asked with a pout on her face. I won't give in this time. I won't let her cute adorable face control me.

"No—I actually have to go to my ex's house right now." I deadpanned to the shocked girl. Haerin clearly knows now I caught her in a lie by the way her eyes were shifting around like she was looking for help.

"I'm sorry." That's it? No explanation? Nothing? Wow. It was silent for a moment then out of the corner of my eye I saw Dani walking up. Fucking great.

"Is everything okay?" Wow I bet she's so concerned right now.

"Can you go away?" I can't take this right now. I just want to have a conversation with Haerin. I'll deal with Dani later. Dani seemed taken aback by my question by the way her eyebrows furrowed and the smile dropped from her face. Haerin also seemed startled by my comment.