Chapter 15

"Gregory..."

His eyes snapping open, Gregory found himself in a dark hallway that was dimly lit with a red fluorescent light. A chill ran up his spine as he frantically looked around at his surroundings. But he couldn't see anything, not with how dark it was. The lights weren't helping at all either.

"Are we having fun yet?"

There it was! There was the voice again! And it sounded closer, and hauntingly familiar. Trembling in fear, Gregory slowly turned around. It was still dark with the faint red lights. But then, suddenly, two small sections of the red lights moved. It took the boy a moment to realize that they were eyes.

Vanny's eyes.

"Why don't you come play with me?" Vanny asked in a sickly sweet voice. Skipping along down the hallway, she brandished a deadly looking knife in her right hand. And she was still getting closer. His heart pounding in his chest, Gregory turned around and sprinted the other way. He could still hear Vanny behind him as she called out, "Don't worry, I'll keep you safe."

"Stay away from me!" Gregory cried, tears brimming in his eyes. His blood roared in his ears and his heart was racing out of control. He was so scared right now. Where was Freddy? What part of the Pizzaplex was he in? What was he going to do? Frightened out of his mind, he dared to look back over his shoulder. At the same time, he tripped over his own feet. Crashing to the floor, Gregory scrambled to get back up but it was too late as Vanny pounced, knife in hand...

———

"Gregory? Gregory?! Superstar, answer me!" Freddy cried, gently shaking the child by his shoulders. Gregory could barely hear the bear animatronic over his own screaming. And he could not stop screaming for the longest time, not until Freddy was able to scoop the child into his arms. "Shh, shh. It's okay superstar," the bear rumbled softly over the choked sobs, "It was just a nightmare."

"You poor thing, you're shaking," Vanessa noted, rubbing Gregory's back kindly. She turned around and snagged a blanket off the couch in Freddy's room. Draping it over the shivering boy, the security guard brushed some hair out of Gregory's face as she murmured, "It's okay, you're safe now. Look, Freddy's got you."

"What happened? I heard screaming and it woke Grace up," Chica asked, entering the room. Grace was bawling in her arms, upset from being scared awake by the other child's screams. Adjusting a curler in her hair, Roxy mumbled sleepily, "Gregory had a nightmare." Realizing that he had unintentionally awoken everyone in the Pizzaplex, Gregory whimpered, "I'm sorry guys..."

"There's no need to apologize Gregory-" Freddy started speaking. He didn't finish though as the door swung open. A towel wrapped around his mohawk and a cucumber over one eye, Monty snarled, "Fazbear, if that kid doesn't learn to shut up, I'm tossing him off the freaking roof!"

"Now is not a good time Monty," all of the girls declared, glaring at the alligator animatronic. Turning her attention back to Gregory, Vanessa kept brushing his hair with a kind hand as she asked, "Do you wanna talk about it? Your dream?" Trembling still, Gregory spoke in a quiet voice, "Vanny..."

Dead silence.

"Oh dear..." Chica whispered hoarsely, her eyes widened in horror. Shuddering, the chicken animatronic held Grace closer to her chest in a protective manner. Behind her, Monty seemed just as horrified. Catching his glasses before they slid off his snout and hit the floor, he quietly excused himself from the room. Frozen in place, Roxy and Vanessa had no reaction whatsoever and that was about the most terrifying reaction of all. Visibly shaken up, Freddy cradled Gregory close as he rasped, "Oh superstar..."

"Freddy, he needs help. Like, professional help," Vanessa advised wisely. Meeting the bear's blue gaze, the security guard continued, "I know he hasn't been the same since the fire but we don't have many options, not without revealing everything. We have to take Gregory to Sundrop, now."