Mrs. Hadiza stepped into the role of a mother naturally as well. Despite having lots of kids that she cares for, she still gave each one of us her care and attention. If I dare say, she was the best mother figure anyone could have. Or at least, the best we had.

But, she lied.

She said we would never be alone again. And yet, as I stood in that exact position only a year later, watching as some couple adopted my younger sister, I felt alone for the first time in my life. That was a moment I could never forget.

I had always been a kid that barley socialized, and always kept to myself. I didn't smile, nor was I open to anyone unlike my sister. I guess, that was why no one ever considered me an option for adoption.

No one wanted a gloomy kid that glares at everyone. But, I didn't mind.

That gave me the avenue to protect my younger sister from kids that wanted to bully her. I stood my ground, and took up that role because I had to.

We were so different. She showed interest in the absence of our parents, I didn't. Not because I was never curious, but because I thought it would hurt less if I ignore it. Or maybe, I was just incapable of feelings as a kid? I wasn't sure.

However, as I watched the my sister leave with her new family, I found tears sliding down my face for the first time I could remember—almost as if I knew it was the time I would see her.

My other half was gone, and throughout my life, she was the only one I knew.

I guess even my brain as a kid knew she was going to have a better life than the one we were living then. Because unlike me, she sported the widest grins out there as she waved me farewell. For a moment, I wouldn't lie, I was upset and perhaps, slightly jealous.

Was she happy to be away from me?

Is the life she was going to live so glorious that she doesn't seem to care that she would be away from me?

Or was I so easy to leave that everyone leaves me?

Had I known it was the last time I would see her, how would I have reacted? Would I have allowed her to leave? Not that I had much of an option but still...I thought about a lot of possibilities over the years.

The years following her departure pretty much passed in a blur. It was like repeating the same process over and over for years in a circle; and I was still that kid that no one wanted. I was still the same brooding kid that kept to herself and glared at everyone that came her way.

The only person I knew I was close to was Mrs. Hadiza; and with quite a lot of reluctance, she opened up about my back story when I couldn't stop pestering her about it consistently. It was the only thing I ask her, aside from my sister's wellbeing. I couldn't forget her, and I never tried to.

"She's good. I'm sure the family is treating her well." She responds. It was the same answer I get all the time.

I wanted to believe her, but I couldn't.

Quite a few times, I happened to see her on TV in Mrs. Hadiza's office. Except, she didn't go by the name I knew her. She didn't go by the name 'Yusra Kabir' anymore, but rather, 'Nailah Zayed'. The daughter of the most influential families in Maroudi.

I had always wondered why Mrs. Hadiza tried to keep the news from me; perhaps, she didn't want me to feel bad? She had always known, even when I tried to hide it that I'm not as strong as I pretend to be. I was weak, and was only holding up that strong front so I wouldn't seem weak to anyone.