Chapter 7: Red Reunion

June 15th, 5am, Red Keep Ruins, 2 years since Chapter 2

Alarm bells rang out as men dressed in chainmail and light iron armor rushed out towards the southern gate of the Red Keep. In an unorganized formation behind their defenses, they waited for the enemy to approach in the darkness of early morning.

"Anyone see them?", someone asked.

"I don't see jack, dude!", another retorted.

"Cut the chatter...! Do you hear that?"

Cutting through the nervous mutterings of the defenders rose the noise of clicking mandibles. Starting small, it began to grow in numbers as the clicking became louder, followed by the sight of several beady red eyes and pale skin. Multiple insectoid creatures lurked towards the walls of the town, with the small vanguard outside being its only defense. Several soldiers couldn't take the tension anymore and charged the beasts, sparking chaos within the unit as a whole. Soon, the morning was met with utter pandemonium as bullets, arrows and crossbow bolts were sent towards the monsters, with the occasional rock thrown to conserve ammo. The bravest men met the beasts with their swords, but this didn't last very long as the ant-like monsters attacked with their razor-sharp front legs and began feasting on the bodies as they fell, still alive as they were being devoured.

"Hold the line! Hold the line! Nothing gets through, do you hear me!?", one of the men shouted, blasting a hole through one as he was knocked into the dirt. His leg was slashed before the demon's attention was driven away from being shot in the back.

"W-what's happening? What is going on?", he asked, as a demon leapt into the air and nearly pounced on him, before a large sword was flung into the demon, killing it instantly, as well as spinning like a saw blade and killing several others before stopping.

The soldier had an incredulous look on his face as footsteps approached and a blonde elf woman in a blue jacket passed him.

"You look like you need a hug, but you ain't getting one from me right now. Better clear out of here.", she said, her ponytail flowing nicely in the breeze.

"Hey! Who are you? H-Hey, lady, you're gonna get yourself killed!", the man replied, to which another set of footsteps approached, a young man in all black and white, who pulled the massive blade near him out of the ground as if it weighed nothing.

"Don't try that, man. When Mia here sets her mind on something, there's no convincing her otherwise. Trust me, I've tried.", he said to the soldier as if this was a normal day.

"Didn't you hear what I said you crazy elf bitch!? You're gonna die!", the soldier cried out, to which Mia simply turned to him with a smirk.

"Cheer it up, crew cut!", she said, flicking her left wrist and summoning her Keyblade in a flash of flight and bandages. Her right arm glowed blue faintly as the bracer channeled some sort of dark energy through it. "You taking notes?", she said, before turning and attacking a demon with an open-palm strike, sending it careening backwards and knocking over any other demons in its flight path. Another screeched at her from the gates above and leapt at her, only for her to meet it in mid-air with the sharp end of her Keyblade. As she landed, she simply brushed some stray hairs out of her face. "Okay, time to kick some ass!"

Two insect demons, "Empusas", according to Mia's bestiary, stumbled towards her. "Looks like we got some cleaning up to do." she said as she turned her weapon's keychain into a grappling hook, hooking an Empusa with it and pulling them in, simply to strike it with her dark-empowered palm, killing it. She moved towards another, slashing the demon with a three-hit combo.