Departure

This was my first story on Wattpad and it's hard to believe it's finally coming to an end; I put so much into it that it's almost sad to see it end. But the long awaited final chapter is here. Sorry it took so long to upload, I just wanted to make this chapter as perfect as I could; I rewrote it twice trying to get it right. Anyways, I hope you all enjoy. (: Read the A/N at the end to find out info about an EPILOGUE.

Enjoy. (:

-Sydne xD

***********************

I took a deep breath and glanced around the room one last time before grabbing my bags. I looked at my bed and remembered when Niall and I drew on each other in eyeliner. Or just a few days ago when I made Liam and Niall kill the spider crawling down the wall above my bed. I was frantic and they simply laughed at me.

I smile, leaving my room I walked down the hall that led to the connected living room and kitchen. My gaze shifted to the sofa where Conor and I would sit for hours and play our musical trivia games.

My feet shuffled into the kitchen. Glancing at the counters brought back memories of Niall and I baking cookies, and the time I tried making us sandwiches after I got out of the hospital and my crutches fell to the ground. I chuckled, remembering how worried Niall was for me after I came home from the hospital.

I understood why he was so nervous, though. After saving my life a week earlier, he wasn't ready for me to risk it again doing something stupid. It was sweet, how protective he was over me. My eyes glanced down to my leg, inspecting the scars that sent me to that hospital. On my calf, there was a pale white spot where the bee had stung me. On my thigh, there was a similar spot where Niall used my Epi-pen to save my life.

The thought of bees shifted my gaze to the garden outside the kitchen windows. I stepped through the sliding glass doors and onto the porch that Niall first tried hitting on me during the night of the welcoming party. I smiled, wondering how it was possible for our relationship to be so different now than it was that night: when he practically made me hate him. Yeah, my boyfriend was great at first impressions. I chuckled again, but the feeling faded when I realized I don't even know what our relationship is anymore. Or if we even have one left, that is.

My breath hitched in my throat as I looked out into the garden. The summer flowers were still in bloom and the brilliant sun illuminated the landscape. My eyes fell to the flower beds where Niall looked through my sketchbook for the first time. I could almost feel the sensation on my lips from the way he kissed me that day.

I took a deep breath and walked back inside. My suitcases stood at the front door, packed and ready for departure.

"Ready?" Aunt Tara asked from the doorway; her eyes were sympathetic. Jade stood behind her, it was obvious she was already dreading the goodbyes she'd soon have to say at the airport.

Nervous butterflies fluttered in my stomach; my shaky hands grabbed hold of a pair of suitcases. "As ready as I'll ever be." I faked a smile, knowing that if I did anything else I might break down in tears.

It's almost sad to think that after only spending three months here, it feels so much like home. It feels like a place I don't want to leave.

After loading the rest of my things in the car, we left for the airport. Jade and Conor sat on either side of me while Uncle Cal and Aunt Tara sat in the driver and passenger seats.

"You know," Conor broke the silence, "you came here this summer to learn about our family history, and you didn't even get to do any of that."

I started laughing, not a fake laugh but a genuine one; the others joined in. "Yeah," I chuckled again, "I guess you're right. Kind of ironic, I guess."