⌗007 - school ; and other scary things

↯↯↯↯

↯↯↯↯

The moment I head those words something stopped in my heart. I couldn't bring myself to view Steves face so instead I lowered both my head and my eyes. I kept looking down at the uneven concrete as I thought, racked, my brain for a plausable excuse.

"I... I had a gut feeling." I answered and Steve stared at me like I was a liar, I know I am but do you really have to look at me like that? he sighed, not replying. for some reason, I felt like his silence scared me more than his anger, his words.

He, Steve, watched as a black taxi car came to us; Natasha and Tony sat down, waiting for us to follow, "I thought your voice was familiar." Steve said idly, his voice wasn't as cold as I expected. it was something that calmed me down slightly, only slightly though.

"We'll talk about this later. For now, I'll act like I don't know." He sat down in the taxi and I waited a second or two before sitting next to him and whispering a faint '...thank you' to him. He replied with a smile, a fake smile I'm sure of it.

Who'd have the guts to be able to even think of smiling in this situation. A smirk, an all-knowing smirk, I could understand but a genuine, nice smile? Never.

For the entire journey I was silent except for the noise of me picking my nails until they bled. Tony shared me a frown which I faked a smile to. Tony quickly disregarded me and went back to his chit-chat.

Tony didn't spare me another glance.

Natasha didn't either.

It didn't take long for there to be no nail bed left to pick at to hold back from me bursting into tears. So, in a futile attempt to save myself I started picking the skin around my nail.

Pick.

Ouch.

Pick.

Take me home.

Pick.

Happy thoughts Delilah.

Pick—

—Steve placed a hand over mine gingerly and removed it from my other hand stopping me from picking my skin again. I forced myself to look up and him expecting a face of anger. Instead, I saw raw concern.

That tipped me over the edge.

I turned away immediately and didn't look back at Steve; If i did, i knew I would've cried, I would've completely crumbled to the ground in an agonising sob. The taxi ride quickly regained its silence again for a few minutes before Tony began to speak to me.

"Say Delilah, where do you live?" He questioned me and I froze. I stumbled on my words, "uh, with my dad." I replied and Tony furrowed his eyebrows. Steve quickly realised something and too, furrowed his eyebrows.