Chapter 3

I was scarred.

 The car stopped in front of an old but a really impressive castle. Damian was starring at my expression & then he opened his mouth 

" Don't worry, you are going to love this more than you realize. Now let's go inside you need to meet him" 

I listened to him & left the car. He started walking towards the entrance & I followed him. I was scarred, but I also realized I had nothing better to do. If I try running I will end up in the woods, what then, huh? 

Inside, the walls were full of medieval paintings, sculptures, expensive vases,  I felt like I was walking through history. My head was spinning. I could imagine myself writing all sorts of different stories here, even now my head was full of ideas. 

We stooped in front of a big door, Damiano opened them, turned around, smiled & said 

 " I will give you one advice. When you go in inside forget that you are Anna & become someone who you always admired, desired to be. I know this sounds really weird. But as I said, this place it changes everyone. And now you have a chance to be anyone you want, Francoise " 

Who is Francoise? And why is he calling me that. I glanced at him & lost my breath for a few seconds, I was nervous, what was behind that door? His words really made me interested in what was happening here. Where the hell am I? 

I entered through the door, I was in a bedroom which looked really extravagant. There was a very big bed, an old fashioned writing table, walls - full of frescos. 

Then suddenly a man entered through another door, which seemed to lead to a balcony. " Ah, Francoise, you finally decided to visit us. We presume you have some questions for us. Well before you speak your mind out, I would like to welcome you to the Vatican. " 

Ok? the name again. And why is he speaking with me as if he knows me? The Vatican? Even though I wasn't born here, I new for a certain that I was standing not inside the Vatican. 

The man saw my confused face, smiled briefly & continued " You are definitely not clueless. Now let me explain everything. " 

He started walking towards me, I was going to shift back, but I remembered Damian's words. He told me be someone who I also wanted to be. Well, let's try it. Although I never met this man before, he made me feel relaxed. 

He stopped three feet in front of me and spoke

" My dearest, you came to this country to join the Callixtus private school, correct ?"

 I answered " Yes, but I'm not completely sure that this is a school. "

 He continued " Yes this is not exactly a school, but here you can learn things that could entirely change your life. You see my girl, Callixtus is not a place, it's a game. " 

At this very moment I was completely lost. 

" A game ?" I asked. 

" Let me explain it to you. When you join the game you completely forget your life & become the character that you were given based on your trait & characteristics, like in some kind of board game. But here we live in a game, we are the game. And you just became the part of it" 

He stopped & I was trying to get everything together in my head. A game, it all sounded weird. I as a character in some game? Ok?  This sounded really weird, but I felt really intrigued, this game seemed interesting to day the least. 

 I braced myself & asked " If everyone here has a character... What is yours then ? " 

He smiled widely " We are the pope of Rome. Alexander VI...." 

Before he could finish I cut him off " Rodrigo Borgia " 

The pope smiled " Yes, my dearest, and you are a very important character in my story. You got the role of my daughter Lucrezia Borgia. But others noticed some qualities of different personas in you so we decided to combine two characters into one. That's why my daughter your name is Francois Lucrezia Borgia. " I

 froze, I didn't understand anything now. I had to act like his daughter. What? I knew who Rodrigo and Lucrezia Borgias were. But this place, this game made me really confused. They just want me to act as a historical figure and completely erase who I truly am. Just become another person. 

I wanted to make know more, so then I spoke loudly . 

" So, you brought me here to join your game, to play your daughter in it, but why should I do it? I came here to learn, to have a future, not to do some roleplay. I thought this was a school, not some game club "

 Rodrigo paused, took a deep breath " I'm sure you've heard of all the people that have joined the Callixtus & look where life has got them. No one knows what is happening here right? The students that do join us keep their experiences here a secret, so the outside world doesn't crush us. We do study here - languages, philosophy, history, literature is all part of the life in here. You can have limitless opportunities here. "

I started thinking

"You are part of the history now too Francois" Rodrigo continued" just imagine how it would feel for once in your lifetime to be completely who you want to be. Our life has only 2 rules. The first is to not speak to outsiders about Callixtus. The second to completely become the character. You can shape her in any way you want because in truth you are more Francois than you realize. "

 I drifted into my thoughts after he stopped speaking. What if I actually wanna do this? What if this is the exact thing my life needs right now? I always wanted to write stories, but what would it feel like to live one? I could be any version of myself right now, I wouldn't need to prove myself to anyone. Being the  popes daughter will give me a lot of possibilities, as I understand he is the highest ranking here...  

I lifted my eyes & looked at Rodrigo when the words left my mouth 

" Father, I would like to see my rooms now, for the journey has been the most tiring." 

*

After I left my fathers rooms and was making my way towards my chambers Damian joined me.  " My lady, How may I help you?" 

I smiled at him

 " Well Damian, you could accompany me towards my chambers, I would like to have someone familiar besides me. "  I ordered "Now my dear acquaintance tell me what shall I know about you ? " 

He lifted his eyebrows 

" I am merely your brothers companion, not a high born like you my most gracious lady Francois. Your brother Cesare Borgia is  a Cardinal here at the Vatican.  " 

While we were walking through a huge chamber full of statues I glanced back at Damian, who was a few steps behind me 

" And where is my big brother Cesare now? Perhaps saying his prayers?" I said with a cocky smile

" I can' t tell for a certain my lady, Cesare Borgia doesn't account to anyone.  And here we are your rooms. " He opened the doors to my chambers. 

I came in through them, two ladies were there, as I understood they were my chamber maidens. I looked around the room, it  was really gorgeous. 

" Damian?" I asked. "Yes, my lady" he quickly answered. 

I looked around my room & glanced back at him  " I would like us to be friends, good friends, that open up to one another. Do you understand? " 

He smiled " That would be an honor, my lady " 

I looked back at him " Francoise, my friend, just Francoise" 

He turned around, closed the door & left. 

A few second later the door swung open, as my brother Cardinal Cesare walked through them, laid his eyes upon me as he spoke " Hello, sister "