Chapter 10 (Part 1)

Start from the beginning

Sarah watched her the whole time and Jonathan and Cassie watched Sarah while Tim watched Cassie. Jordan and Anasi focused on his notes and compared them to hers. They were so focused they didn't notice how quiet it had gotten.

"How's it coming along?" Tim asked, breaking their silence. Jonathan turned back over and continued reading while Sarah gave the update.

"Pretty good. We just have to finish up designing the border and then we'll be able to print it all out." Sarah then turned to face Cassie. "Thanks again for allowing us to use your printer. I'm pretty sure if we tried to use the libraries, we'd get fined for using so much ink."

"Why can't our teacher advisor just print them?" Jonathan asked as his eyes flew across the pages. "Isn't it their job to be helping you with this stuff?"

"No. They just make sure we don't overspend the cash and oversee that we are hosting proper fundraisers." Cassie replied as she redrew another border on a separate sheet of paper.

"Proper? Wait, are there things you can't do?" Jonathan set down his book and sat up. Now he was intrigued.

"We can't do things like spin the wheel, raffles, and random number games because those are forms of gambling. We can't host any fundraisers that discriminate against a person's physical, mental, or emotional health. No door-to-door fundraising–" Sarah began listing.

"Wait, hold on–" Tim made a face of disbelief.

"That can't be right." Jonathan said.

"No door-to-door because if you're selling food, you could accidentally run into someone with a food allergy and that'd be a health violation. It also has to do with safety reasons to make sure no kid gets abducted. And people have complained about being put on the spot and don't like being pressured to pay even more for the school than they already are." Anasi said from across the couch. She pointed to something on her screen that Jordan quickly jotted down in his notebook.

"People will get offended by anything nowadays." Tim sneered.

"Those are the people that will eventually reform the school to make sure that their kids don't learn History, English, Math, or Science because gods forbid it doesn't line up with what they believe." Cassie muttered as she showed Sarah her recent border.

Gods? Jonathan blinked multiple times but didn't correct her. Maybe he wasn't thinking straight.

"I like that one. Let's use it." Sarah nodded before turning to face Jonathan. "There are a lot of requirements but even more rules to follow for fundraising. Problem is that people always want to try something new–"

"But aren't willing to step up to join the council." Cassie mumbled.

"And then you guys get slandered by the other students because they think you're lazy when in reality your hands are tied?" Tim asked, going back to whatever was on his computer. "Yeah, I've heard a similar story before."

"Did it have a good ending?" Sarah whispered.

Tim didn't look up.

Cassie noticed Sarah's nervous look and bumped her shoulder affectionately. "The universe just doesn't like Tim."

"That's not fair!"

"It is if it's true!"

6:19pm

"I was thinking maybe a nice red and black color scheme?" Sarah said, walking out Cassie's door. "I always have a red dress on me. And I really don't want to go out looking for a new one."

Jordan slung his backpack more comfortably on his shoulder as he kept his pace up behind her. "That sounds good, but I can't promise a red suit. I could just wear a red tie."