Chapter 10 (Part 1)

Beep. Beep. Beep. Anomaly detected. Section 35142018112 392025.

******

Saturday, September 17th (2:09pm)

"If I shoot myself, will it be less painful than this?" Jordan asked, tossing his green chemistry notebook across the room. His dark blue t-shirt rumpled and his khaki shorts rode up a bit as reclined on the long couch in front of the entrance to the dining room while Tim, who was on the other side of the couch, rolled his eyes and slid to the floor and sat in front of it.

Sarah, Anasi, and Cassie all looked up from the living room floor where they had been hunched over for the last hour. Around each girl were several pieces of paper, markers, pencils, and erasers. Anasi, leaning with her back against the couch, had her laptop laying open on her lap while Sarah and Cassie were agt the coffee table finishing the last of the designs on the new homecoming posters.

Anasi had been elected President and Sarah was her Vice. When they realized not very many people were interested in getting a position in student government, they started pulling at their friends. That's how Cassie became Secretary and a girl from the dance team became Treasurer.

This wasn't the only thing Anasi and Sarah dragged Cassie into. Sarah introduced her to the Debate team and Anasi showed her the wonders of Community Service. And then on her own, Cassie joined the History and Poetry club.

From what Jonathan knew, who wore a light yellow t-shirt and light gray shorts with three black stripes on the side, she was always saying hello and getting more comfortable with her place in Smallville. Everyone who met her immediately felt safe in her presence and loved interacting with her.

Jonathan stretched out on the couch closer to the window to the porch with his legs extended across the cream colored fabric, pulled his attention away from the book he was reading and looked towards her. Her golden hair and tinted complexion made her look like the human version of a warm cup of tea. He could easily understand why so many people loved being near her.

Behind her groaned Jordan, whose arms were now firmly draped over his eyes.

They weren't all supposed to show up here, but it just happened that way. When the girls needed to use Cassie's incredible office printer to make copies of the posters they were finishing, Jordan asked if he could tag along. Anasi was in his physics and chem class and he was stuck on some of the homework, so he figured he could get her help after they finished. Jonathan and Tim were near when the conversation took place and decided to tag along.

Cassie didn't mind. Or at least she didn't act like it.

It was a bit more chilly today, in the mid 70s. Despite that, some people decided to wear longer pants. Cassie wore black capri leggings and a dark red tank top while Anasi wore corduroy pants and a flowy white top. Sarah wore jean shorts, a tank top, and had a flannel wrapped around her waist.

"It's the third week. How are you already lost?" Tim asked, typing on his computer. He wore dark gray sport shorts and a black t-shirt with the Batman symbol on it.

Anasi set her laptop aside and went to pick up the notebook. As she came back to her seat reviewing his notes, she said, "The notes our teacher gives us are inconsistent. They don't flow together at all, so it's kind of like a puzzle: fitting which pieces go with which in what order. It's even worse if some information is left out."

Picking up her laptop, she walked over to the couch. After kicking Tim away from the couch and physically moving Jordan's legs down and placing his two feet on the floor, she sat down.