He places his large hands on my upper arms, gently rubbing up and down the expanse of my skin, my body instantly responding to his touch, and I have to fight against the urge to sink into him.

His blue eyes meet mine in the mirror. "You look beautiful, Helen," he tells me, as his fingers trace to my back, and he zips my dress back up, his fingers grazing the skin of my spine as he does, and my whole body shudders at his touch.

He pushes my hair over my shoulder, and his gentle fingers trace along the skin of my exposed back, over my shoulder blades, up my neck, and my eyes involuntarily close at his gentle touch, while his fingers continue their exploration of my hypersensitive skin.

"I got you something," he says, his voice quiet, almost a purr, and my eyes open at his words.

I watch his reflection as he takes out a silver chain from the front pocket of his black denim jeans.

He puts the chain around my neck and fastens it, both of us looking at the single emerald gemstone - my favourite colour - hanging from the silver chain, just past my collar bones.

"What's this for?" I ask him through a small smile, my eyes meeting his through the mirror.

He seems almost nervous, nibbling on his bottom lip slightly, as he centres the gemstone perfectly in the middle of the delicate silver chain, the emerald sparkling with the movement against my skin.

"I just wanted to treat you," he says, then turns me around gently by my shoulders until I'm facing him, and we're so close, I have to arch my neck to meet his eyes. "I think after... everything, you've handled things so amazingly. You've been so understanding of me, and... I guess I just wanted to show you my appreciation."

"And is that why you're taking me out to dinner?"

"Yes," he says simply, his hands gently rubbing up and down my arms again, my skin smothering in goosebumps from his touch, and he must notice how my body is reacting to him, because he shoves his hands into the pockets of his jeans and takes a step backwards.

The action should make me feel awkward, knowing the way my body reacts to him is crossing a boundary, even if it is involuntary. But I don't feel awkward. Not around him.

And that's the problem. I'm too comfortable around him. He has never seemed like an authority figure to me. He has never seemed like my legal guardian, just two equals taking up the same amount of space. And while I am grateful for it, it makes things very... confusing for me.

A new normal. Both of us equals. No one person having power over the other. A new dynamic. And it may be messy or fucked up, but it works. Somehow, it's been working, and it calms me knowing I haven't been hurting him.

~*~

The restaurant is busy, filled with people in suits and cocktail dresses, and it's too fancy for my liking.

The dining furniture is expensive, the lights dimmed, illuminated only by grand crystal chandeliers, causing causing the expensive and delicate chandeliers to stand out more than they already do.

I know Luke is living comfortably money wise, and while I don't exactly know the extent of his wealth, I assumed a place like this would only be for special occasions, not a spontaneous meal out like he had said. He must have booked this in advance.

While I had expected he would be taking me somewhere a little fancier, seems as though he told me to dress up, I can't help but feel underdressed. But looking at Luke in his straight leg black jeans and long sleeved black button up shirt makes me feel more comfortable and at ease.