For a moment, my eyes slipped close and the thoughts went away. Everything blacked and I fell into a deep sleep.

When I woke up, it was half-past midnight and the room was dark. The lights were switched off, the curtains were pulled open and King was resting beside me. I rubbed my eyes and turned my attention to him where I found him shirtless beside me. From the looks of it, I could tell the doctor had dropped by and stitched up his wound as they were neatly bandaid.

I placed my hand over his face and stayed in his presence for a couple of long minutes. I hadn't even had the chance to thank him for all the things he had done for me.

He had been there for me more than anyone in my life. He saved me, not just once but many times. He took care of me and loved me.

My lips cracked into a smile before I whispered, "I love you."

Unfortunately, King was asleep, exhausted from the day and he couldn't hear anything I had told him.

I leaned over and placed a peck on his both cheeks before parting myself away from him slowly, without making a single sound. I didn't want to disturb him nor wake him up. He needed to rest and heal.

As I got off the bed, my head burned and my feet ached. I pulled myself together and rushed into the bathroom to take a shower and tidy myself up. His blood was still on the funeral clothes I had been wearing since yesterday.

I removed my clothes and then stepped underneath the warm water. Sitting in the bathtub, I pulled out the pieces of glass that had pierced into my skin whilst the King got shot. I had a few cuts here and here but they were closing up.

After showering and cleaning myself up, I changed and walked out of the room with my phone in my hands.

I nearly screamed upon seeing a man standing outside of the door. My eyes widened and my heart was on the verge of leaping out of my chest.

Arnold appeared from the shadows and cleared his throat. I looked at him, still worried about who the other stranger was and what he was doing outside King's bedroom.

"Security." Arnold whispered.

"Here?"

"Just in case."

I nodded and walked past the men. The entire house was covered in security, men everywhere. King took it seriously and I knew it wasn't because he was afraid of something happening to him but he was afraid of something happening to me.

If the bullet had entered my body, I would have been dead, just as the rest of my family was. My body—my wolf couldn't handle whatever the bullet was laced with.

Barely, King lived.

"I can help you with anything, Ms. Eos." Arnold followed me downstairs. "But I wouldn't suggest for you to leave the house. It's dangerous out there for you." He continued, walking behind me.

"I—I just want to have some water." I said, walking inside the kitchen.

Everything flashed in my head once more. The sound of the gun firing, my screams and the scent of blood. It went through me once more and I froze on my steps.

"Are you alright, Ms. Eos?" Arnold asked, hovering over me with his tall frame.

I gave my head a quick shake, "Yes." I walked into the kitchen and poured myself a cup of warm water. "Did you figure anything out?" I asked him.

"Not yet. It's too late to figure anything."

I gulped down the entire glass of water before placing it back on the counter. "I am going to step outside for a bit. Is that fine?"

"Around the area of the house." Arnold recommend but I knew he wasn't going to leave me alone.

I stepped out and the cold air wrapped around me. My body trembled as I continued to walk to the backyard of the house. There was security outside as well, a man on every corner. They all wore a similar uniform that differentiated them from the others.

I reached the backyard and stood near the window of the kitchen. It was blocked for now with a wooden piece and was going to be fixed later in the morning.

Curiosity ran through me and I turned my head around to figure out where the killer could've been. The house was in a secured community which meant he must've gone through the gates in the front and he must've shown his ID to enter.

Who was it?

It had to be someone from the town. It had to be someone that lived among us.

The hunters were living here, with us.

Read the full book on Patreon: www.patreon.com/miakerr