Chapter 56

Chapter 56

We remained inside the same hospital room till the sun cracked and brightened the sky. I tried falling asleep at first but it was hard to do so. Instead, I spoke to King, telling him all about what I had learned and what had happened, beginning with the attack of wolves.

Laying over his chest, I gazed outside of the window, staring at the beautiful rainbow forming while he stroked my hair and listened to me.

"I don't understand why would they attack us." I said, my voice low as a whisper, barely making it's way out of my parched throat.

His shoulders relaxed while he placed his hand over my arm, "They must've felt a threat as you were an unmarked female wolf that had entered their territory. Although, it's suspicious that you met that old woman who claimed it were her wolves." He replied, sounding a bit unsure of everything.

"Isn't that right!" I exclaimed while leaning a bit up and turning to him. "That woman told me it was her wolves so I assumed she would have been the leader but then earlier, the man—he was the Alpha of this town, wasn't he?" I asked, cocking a brow at King. It just didn't make any sense.

King frowned, "It could be possible that she must've been the Alpha's mate."

That was an assumption but it did make sense. I still suspected why she disappeared so quickly upon sniffing out King as he approached us and why she was terrified of him.

I relaxed my thoughts a bit and quietly raised another suspicion, "Did you know Barnsley was a werewolf town—or a town full of werewolves? I lived her for the better part of my life and not once I suspected anything."

"I was aware," He rubbed his jaw and nodded while something flooded in his eyes. "The pack here is weak so I didn't assume that you would get attacked by anyone. Guess I was wrong there..." He trailed off, disappointment in his words.

"It's okay," I pressed my head against his chest and whispered, "It isn't your fault. I should've known better and I shouldn't have dragged Beatrice along with me."

"She'll be fine, Eos." It felt like a promising angel had whispered something into my ear and I just had to believe it.

"I know."

After we laid together for a couple minutes more, we stood up and dressed ourselves before walking outside of the room. It was still quite and eerie in the hospital. I suppose a lot of people didn't get sick around here.

"What about witches? The woman told me about my parents have a witch with them and she helped them whenever they needed." I quickly asked while walking alongside with him. We were going to return to Beatrice's room in the hospital and check up on her and Arnold, who must've been still sleeping.

"They aren't many true witches living but it could be possible that your parents had a witch by their side. A witch's loyalty is the most precious thing for us werewolves. One could either rebuilt you or completely destroy you." He explained, his arm hanging over my shoulder while his eyes were filled with sleep.

Just before going to check on Beatrice, I grabbed another espresso from the vending machine and chugged it down. It had been nearly a day and I hadn't had slept. My eyes were red, my pupils dilated and my skin pale as it could be. I still had a long day ahead of me.

"Do you have a witch with you?" I randomly inserted the question, curious to know if he had one.

"No. Not anymore." He shook his head.

I didn't ask another question, instead I headed straight into Beatrice's room and found her wide awake and a smile hanging over her face. Her hand was up in the air, something rolled in her fist, a paper or a rock that she wanted to strike Arnold with so he would wake up.

"Oh, you're here!" She pulled her arm down. "I just came back from the dead and really wanted some water." She cheekily grinned.

I rushed toward her side and grabbed her into a tight hug. It had been a tough night but she was finally awake. Just as I held her too tight, she hissed in pain and I quickly moved back while King went out to get the water for her.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Did I hurt you?" I asked, standing a distance from her.

She wasn't a werewolf, she didn't have the ability to heal as fast as I did. It was a miracle for me to heal with all the injuries I had gotten, especially the one in my head. I wouldn't have lived if it weren't for being a werewolf. On the other hand, Beatrice had her seatbelt on which saved her own life.

"No, it's a little bit of pain but my head is clouded. I need to know what happened and what I'm doing here." She asked, rubbing her head before grabbing the water King had gotten her. Upon seeing him, she smiled, eyed him and then returned to her weak state.

Typical Beatrice.

"The wolves. I lost control of the car and I think we hit a tree or something." I tried explaining to her but I remembered none of it. I only remembered waking up to agonizing pain shooting all over my body. "Don't worry. I'm fine. Nothing really happened to me." I lied, shaking up the story a little bit. "You were bad. We got you here and the doctors checked you up. Nothing serious but we were waiting for you to wake up."

Beatrice's eyes widened, "Really? Fuck. I don't remember shit." She cursed while pressing her fingers between her eyes.

"It's okay. How are you feeling now?" I asked her, reaching to her.

"Okay, I guess. I don't really know. My body feels numb but I feel like that's going to wear off real soon and I'm going to be in terrible pain for the next couple of days." She said while flashing a glance at King.

"That's okay. We will get you medicines and I promise I'll take care of you for as long as you need me." I offered, sitting beside her and giving her my word. It was my fault that she ended up here. The least I could do was take care of her.

"Nah. It's fine, Eos. I'm going to be okay. I'm just thankful you're fine and none of us are dead." She joked, humoring me up right after waking up.

I glanced back when King's hand touched my shoulder. My skin tingled immediately and I quickly recongized him wanting to say something.

"I'm going to go check with the doctor and get some food as well. Spend some time with her. If you need anything, call me." He said, quietly, to me before sharing a smile with Beatrice and walking out of the room with Arnold by his side who had woken up upon hearing our voices.

As he left, I turned my attention back to Beatrice who continued grinning. She seemed like she was going to burst out of excitement. "He's so hot." She whispered in a low voice, dragging the word hot for a few good seconds. "Oh my God. I'm just so shocked and I'm so glad I'm here to witness all of that goodness."

"Shh," I rolled my eyes at her. "Calm down. He's spoken for."

"Mhm, since when?"

"Since an hour ago."

King and I now shared a different bond. At first, we were just in a relationship but now, we were partners, mates, tied with each other for as long as we lived and nothing was going to come between us. 

Read the full book on Patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr