Just as I entered, slow, melodious music echoed in my ears as the couple's danced on the floor. We had gotten a bit late but not too late to miss everything.

I stared as hesitation rose over Wayne's face as he watched someone else. His hand left my body and he turned his face to me. After giving me a smile, he said, "Make yourself comfortable. Have a couple of drinks. I'll be around here."

It was an easy way of saying 'going to ditch you to do something secretive'.

I didn't budge him, instead, I let him to go and as he began walking, I studied his every move and to everyone he spoke with. Some of them, I couldn't recognize but others were familiar.

I stayed by the bar and investigated him. When confusion collected in my head, I looked around to find my assistant, Allison.

She was just around the corner, dancing and fiddling with her friends when I called her over to me.

"Yes? How can I help you?" She asked, her tone dulling.

"Who's that man?" I directed my hand toward the man in a royal blue suit. He was old, not too old, maybe about forties and he was shaking his hands with Wayne before they began talking.

"The Alpha of Silvertail Pack." Allison responded, only in a few seconds.

"Hmm..." I leaned back against the bar, studying the man and Wayne.

What did they have in common? They both were Alphas.

"What about that one? The one beside to him." I questioned her out of curiosity.

"The Alpha of the Goldridge Pack."

My heart skipped a beat or two before I rose up and straight my posture. There were two Alpha's standing beside Wayne, talking to him. My eyes scurried around, looking at the other faces dressed in perfect suits. Most of them were Alpha's from the packs nearby, the same packs Wayne despised and wanted to end for his own benefit. For years, he wanted to gain power and strength by taking down other packs and suddenly, he was befriending them.

I sucked in a sharp breath as my curiosity ran wilder than I had thought. Taking a few steps, I neared them, wanting to hear their conversations but the music was too loud to be able to hear anything.

"Are you spying on your own mate?" Allison followed me, I guess that was her job now as I was her Beta.

"Mind your business." I rolled my eyes and gave her a dirty look. She nearly turned around to leave but I stopped her. "Wait."

"Yes?"

"What are other Alpha's doing here? I'm sure you've attended quite a few charity events so what is this all for? What is Wayne hiding from me?" I asked her, hoping she would provide me with some information as I couldn't hear anything and my own mate wouldn't tell me anything.

He still treated me like an outsider.

"I can't tell anything."

I stared at her with wild, prowling eyes before her tongue began running once more, out of fear.

"I don't know. There are meetings between the Alpha's and usually, I am ordered to stay outside with the other wolves." She quickly said, worry in her tone.

Hmm.

This was getting too long and boring.

When I neared Wayne, all I could make out were whispers and little words that barely made any sense. The longer I stayed, I could hear more things, random things.

"It's a new strain. The best of best healers in my pack aren't able to figure out how to deal with it." The Alpha from the Silvertail Pack said, leaning real close to Wayne so no one else would hear it.

It took me a lot of concentration to hear them but still, nothing made sense.

"Bring your healers to me. I have a better chance to explain them what it is and where it started from. Maybe then, they'll have some suggestions." Wayne frowned and said, his face covered in a tight expression.

I grabbed another drink from the waiters passing by and began walking away from where the Alpha's were all standing. While walking, I slowly sipped on the drink. My heart thudded. I tried to shake off the fear of the unknown but it wasn't going away.

It took me seconds to realize what was the problem.

The strain—it was a new strain of the poison my mother and my uncle formed a year ago. The healers were helping. Wayne needed their help.

But why?

My mother fled the town a year ago, right before I did. She left no tracks and never returned.

How was it possible? How could the poison still exist? The last of it was taken by Wayne who had kept it in his protection as the Alpha.

I was sure he would've destroyed it by now.

Shaking my head, I pushed away all those thoughts. I could be wrong—terribly wrong. I only heard a few things and whilst it didn't make sense, I couldn't jump to a conclusion and think the poison was still between us.

A very familiar scent reached my nostrils and my attention perked once more. I set aside my glass and took a whirl around the room, searching for the scent and where it came from.

It was the scent belonging to Thomas' pack. All his pack members had the same icky, stench that wouldn't leave their bodies even after I had murdered them.

My skin prickled. The music got louder and while tracking the scent, I got lost in the crowd.

Suddenly, a hand looped around my elbow, pushing and dragging me out of the crowd. The stench grew stronger, almost as if it was behind me.

I pushed the hand away and turned around to meet with Thomas' Beta, the vile one I had yearned to kill for a long time.

Read the full book on Patreon: www.patreon.com/miakerr