"It's the fucking skin walkers," I breathe out, my fingers grip the gate, growing angry. "The fucking audacity of these animals."

"Hey Daryl!" Tara shouts, signaling for him to join us.

I narrow my eyes as a short, curvy, bald female stalks to the front of the group. The sight of her turns my stomach. Daryl stands next to me with Magna and James to his right while Yumiko and Tara are to my left. I share an uneasy look with James, then turning my gaze to my husband, a silent conversation - a silent promise - passing between us. We got each others back, and will follow the other's direction. It's like we fell back into the way things were before everything happened. Something's never change, even after six long years.

Swallowing hard, I return my attention to the unwelcome group at our door. "I am Alpha, and we only want one thing from you - my daughter." Daryl tenses; this is the woman that abused and manipulated that poor little girl. My face sours, seeing the evil woman in a new, darkened light. She's Lydia's Owen, and I will do what I can to keep her out of harms way.

Tara clears her throat, raising her chin, "our community is more than capable of defending itself!" She declares unflinchingly.

"I show you my face because we mean you no harm. I just want my daughter. I know you have her." Alpha offers calmly.

"Ya should turn around," Daryl warns. "Leave now and no one gets hurt."

"Wrong answer." Alpha raises her fist, signaling to something or someone unseen. A second wave of skin walkers, bigger than the first, stalks into view, marching until they join the first group; I smirk at the ridiculous sight of several humans wearing faces of the dead. I know I should be afraid, but I find myself being more amused and disgusted. I cock my head, beginning to recall memories of wolf packs from my years of reading fantasy novels. They are presenting as a pack; maybe I can use that to my advantage.

Daryl's quiet voice brings me back to the present. I listen, not taking my eyes off of their leader. This might be a very bad idea, or something that works in my favor. I don't break eye contact with the piece of shit; a way of challenging her authority in front of her followers. "That girl told us what her mom does to her." I feel his eyes bore into the side of my face; he's considering everything I just went through myself. "We ain't sendin' her back to that."

Tara shakes her head, "yeah, but what if she has Alden and Luke? Pissing her off can get them killed."

"Did you kill our friends? We found their horses." Magna questions to the stranger.

"No. Which one of you leads these people?" Alpha inquiries. I feel Tara stiffen beside me. I reach over, offering my strength.

Daryl growls, "what the hell does it matter?"

"Then I'll just address all of you," she announces, "your people crossed into our land. There will be no conflict. Your people killed our people. There will be no conflict. I'm done talkin'. Bring me my daughter, or there will be conflict."

Her people killed Jesus; red dances into my vision. I grip the fence, opening my mouth to speak when Daryl grabs my shoulder, gesturing for me to follow him. "No one touches the girl," he speaks offhandedly while we walk to the edge of the walkaway together.

James steps in front of me, eyes pleading with me to stay. I shake my head, "James, please. Daryl knows how I work, and I, him. He needs me to go with him, so that's what I'll do."

"She's done talkin', I'm not." Daryl calls over his shoulder, watching our interaction. "I need her with me. I understand ya don't like me, but right now, swallow it, and trust me. Like I trust her." James chews on his lip, considering the weight of our words. He sighs, removing himself from blocking my way.