XXXVI

Her life
Peyä tìreyti
•—————•—————•—————•—————•

Again, they leave. This time in the morning. The ride out was long.

The wind was cold and slicing at her skin. Yuete' was warm. Her deep tones attracted more warmth from the sun. But she was mostly missing Tsu'tey. That warmth in his skin, his subtle praises, that heart snatching smile.

"What's on your mind?" Vrin asks as they land on a high rock for the night.

"The reason I'm going to be healed." Hia answered, a small smile dawning on her face as she began to pitch a tent with Vrin.

"But that's not all." She pried, raising an eyebrow with a smile.

"My dearest friend and soon-to-be mate." Hia admitted while working on tying it down methodically.

Vrin smiled in surprise and teasingly pried further.

"A male or female? A strong warrior?" She implored.

"A male. He's more than a strong warrior, he's smart, and he was Olo'eyktan. Of course, if Toruk Makto was a member of your clan, you would yield your position to whom the people look to." Hia rambled, thinking of her Tsu'tey and how best to explain him.

"Ah, I understand. But what does he have to do with it? Fertility problems?" She asked while pinning the tarp.

"Mental problems. Like a mental block keeping me from moving on." Hia explained.

"That's why the Metkayina are receiving so many travelers these days." Vrin sighed.

"I heard they are excellent healers." Hia said, settling onto her little mat.

"Better than that. It's like you leave a different person. Or so I've heard." Vrin chuckled and got onto her own mat.
•—————•—————•—————•—————•

The next few days were full of turbulent winds and high waves. Yuete's long wings allowed for high soaring, but soon, she would get exhausted too. But they had nowhere to land. They forced each other to keep moving, keep those cold wings open.

The sun broke through and the clouds parted for a time, the storms had died. The island birds crowed.

"Look! In the distance!" Vrin exclaimed, her ikran, Tiya called out joyously.

Islands. In the distance. They were coming up on them. They crossed over the pools and the reef into their territory, a blaring noise came from the main village. A horn.

Relief filled Hia's chest and Yuete' cheered gleefully as she saw the different na'vi below them at the reef. They called up to her in greetings, and she ululated back.

Awa'atlu. The Metkayina's main village. Vrin carved their path in the sky, circling around as they descended upon a sand bank that seemed wide enough to hold their Ikrans. Yuete's huge wings swept up some sand in the process, and she landed gracefully, crying out a greeting call. She nudged happily against Hia's body as they parted.

"So good, good Yuete'." Hia fed her new companion, beginning to miss her Palulukan, Anat.

Metkayina poured from their houses and onto the beach, eyeing these foreigners skeptically. Vrin left her weapons behind and so did Hia. It seemed to be the best option.