XVIII

Cannot See
Ke tsun kame
•—————•—————•—————•—————•

After their heart to heart, Hia knew something. Something that Aria couldn't face. Her father did not care. Not as much as he should.

Why doesn't he care about me?

She would lie in her bunk, awake. Awake for much longer than was healthy.

Even though her training was a great distraction, she can't run forever.

•—————•—————•—————•—————•

He called again.

"Hey kid." He greeted, an unusual grin on his face.

"Hi dad." She rubbed her eyes, both from exhaustion and disbelief, "what's going on?"

She had just finished checking her weight. She's dropping weight and mass too fast.

"Just checking in. How're they treating you?" He asked.

"Well, it's good. I'm learning a lot- say, do you actually listen to me when I talk, or do you act disinterested on purpose?" She demanded. Her jaw was clamped tightly, her teeth grinding.

"What- where'd all this come from?" He sputtered.

"It's nothing, just a feeling. You wouldn't get it." She jabbed subtly under the veneer of a distanced tone, "Um, you know how I was talking when we last checked in? I'm going to finish my story now." She said, ignoring the confused, angry expression from her father.

"I went into the military to be like you. And it was the best thing to ever happen to me. I fell in love, dad." She said with a spiteful grin, half remembering the feeling, half punctuating the fact that her father never felt romantic love.

"I fell in love with a man from the UK. Look, I've got his tags." She tugged her tags and his from under her shirt, putting them to the camera. Little round plates with his information.

"He died." Her face dropped to a neutral calm. Inside was a wildfire, "I lost it all, and where were you? You chose to leave me when I needed you. How many times did a reach out? How many times did you walk away?"

The Colonel scrunched up his face with frustration and shook his head.

"I came here for the money. For a job. I wasn't needed on earth." He said firmly.

"I needed you." She said firmly.

Quaritch hung up, leaving his daughter with these feelings. Leaving her in the dark, stale, cold box.

•—————•—————•—————•—————•

Her training continued. Sabotage came for the base. Small things at first. Tools, small vehicles, small electrical accidents. Then mining machines, charges went missing. It was enough distraction to stall an extra month.

•—————•—————•—————•—————•

That feeling grew. She was well beyond ready for Iknimaya. It was frustrating, just how ready she was, she's been here only two months. And yet, there she is. He has little left to teach her beyond better weaving.

It wasn't long either. Only a few weeks. And then she could be one of the people.

And then they would have enough warriors to attempt the calling of the clans.

There was always more to be done. Always more to see. She was always so busy. Making herself busy. Having made her first kill, understanding it's significance, she was free to do what she wanted while waiting for Iknimaya.

But she didn't see, have time to see, Tsu'tey. He was always looking at her, thinking of her. It was stupid. He thought so anyway. But Mo'at saw. She knew.

She did what she could. She brought together a council.

Bit of a short one