XXX

Loss, Determination, Planning
Tìhan, Tì'älek, Tìhìlyawn
•—————•—————•—————•—————•

Hia linked in first. It was her space, that large cave system she shared with Tsu'tey. There was a steady heartbeat. And then another joined her, in the distance, but she felt their presence. And then another. And another, and another, until there were too many for her to count.

Tsu'tey stood over her, observing the rocking of her body. It was the same as everyone else. Grace's avatar was linked, and then Grace was set upon the altar. When Grace was linked, Hia's head fell back, her mouth agape. Pain spiked in her chest and she gasped painfully. It was Grace's pain.

Grace was with Hia, in the cave.

On the outside, everyone was swaying with the heartbeat, moving rhythmically and smoothly.

"Grace." Hia breathed, tears sprung to her eyes.

"You're starting to really sound like them, you know." Grace chuckled.

"Grace Augustine." Eywa approached.

Grace looked to the shape. Eywa's voice was spectacular.

"Great mother- I-I'm not sure what to say." Grace chuckled nervously, lifting a hand to her face in awe.

"Hear me. Your body is weak. If you wish to join the living, you must do so now." Eywa spoke grimly.

"I-I have so many questions, so many people I want to see." Grace said.

"You can see them, even as you're living, Grace." Hia said, touching her arm, "I transferred, I survived. I know you can too." Hia spoke, trying to convince her, pleading with her body language.

Grace smiled sadly, she shook her head.

"My time is now." Grace said softly.

•—————•—————•—————•—————•

Like a gust of wind, Hia had been thrown from her safe space into her body.

"It is finished!" Mo'at said to the crowd of chanting na'vi. Grace broke free of her plant restraints for Jake.

"I'm with her now, Jake." She said with joy, "she's real!" She said with awe. She shudders, the pain in Hia's side intensifies until it is all but gone. Grace was gone.

"Grace!" Jake called, "Grace?! What's happening?" Jake asked Mo'at.

"Her wounds were too great. There was not enough time." Mo'at assumed.

"She chose this." Hia struggled to stand, her legs weak and numb from the experience. It earned Jake's attention. Her eyes glistened with tears as her throat began to form a lump, swelling until she could hardly swallow.

"She said she wanted to ask questions and meet some people." She exchanged a glance with Tsu'tey, "I tried to talk her out of it, but she had a smile on her face through the pain." Hia broke down into silent sobs.

Tsu'tey went to hold her, pressing her colder body to his. Her head to his chest, letting the tears drip onto his skin. He didn't care. He was here for her.