No Hero-Steve Harrington

Start from the beginning

"I promise," she whispered. She smiled, letting out a small giggle. "Besides, I'm no hero."

"Don't underestimate yourself, babe."

Before I could stop myself, I leaned in and pressed a soft kiss to her cheek. My lips lingered a little too long on her cheek. I finally pulled away and started walking the way Nancy and Robin had gone.

"Steve?"

I turned around to see Y/N in the doorway to Eddie's trailer. Her face was burning pink.

"You be careful too, alright?"

My stomach did a weird flip when Y/N smiled at me, her blush brightening. I looked into her eyes, making sure she saw how serious I was as I nodded.

* * * * *

My heart sank into my stomach when I saw Dustin laying on the floor, holding something. It sank even lower when I realized it wasn't a something. It was a someone.

"Dustin!"

"Steve." His voice broke as he looked over his shoulder at me. "I need help. . . Y/N needs help."

I ran as fast as my feet would carry me. I fell to my knees, my stomach in knots as I saw Dustin holding Y/N. I carefully took her from him, holding her as tight as I could without hurting her.

"Y/N?" Her name got caught in my throat. I held my breath, waiting for her to open her eyes. When she did, the pain was clear.

"Steve," she whispered. "You're here."

"Of course I am," I scoffed, choking back a sob. "You didn't think I'd let you be a hero all by yourself now do ya?"

"I'm no hero," she started to say. She cut herself off as she started coughing. The longer she coughed, the harder it was for her to breathe. My stomach turned into a rock when I noticed her coughing up blood.

I pulled her more into my chest, letting her cough into my shirt. I rubbed her back, trying to help her.

"It's okay," I whispered. "Just try and breathe, okay? Please, Y/N. Focus on me. You're going to be alright."

"We need to get her back to Hawkins," Nancy said. I didn't look away from Y/N tucked into my chest. I kept my arms wrapped around her as I stood up.

"I'm sorry," I whispered when my picking her up made her gasp in pain. "Just hang in there. Okay? We're going to get you outta here."

"Your heart is beating really fast," she mumbled.

"Because I'm scared," I said under my breath. I carried her back to Eddie's trailer with the others following behind me.

"Scared of what?"

I looked down to see her looking up at me.

"Scared of losing you."

* * * * *

I paced back and forth in the hospital waiting room. No matter how much the others tried to get me to calm down, it didn't work. I ran my hands through my hair, angrily pulling on strands.

"This is all my fault," I mumbled.

"Steve," Dustin sighed. He grabbed my wrist but I pulled my hand out of his.

"This is my fault!" I yelled. "What happened to Max and . . . Y/N."

My voice broke when I said her name. "It's because I wasn't there. I wasn't there to protect her. It's all my fault."

"Steve," Robin said, grabbing my arm. She pulled me around the corner, away from the others. "Will you stop? This was not your fault. Y/N got hurt protecting Dustin. Exactly what you would've done. There is no one in this group that she wouldn't have protected the exact same way. Especially you. She'd do anything for you, dingus."

"If I had been there. . ."

"Don't start," she warned. "There is nothing you could've done to stop it. But you want to know what you can do?"

"Yes!" I yelled.

"Tell her."

"Tell her what?"

"Don't bullshit me," Robin scoffed. "I know that your and Y/N's little back-and-forth flirting one second and hating each other the next is just a cover."

"For what?"

"For being in love with her, you dipshit!"

"Steve! Robin!" Dustin yelled. "The doctor is here!"

I forgot about Robin knowing how I really felt about Y/N and ran back toward the waiting room. I let out a shaky breath as I saw him standing before the group.

"Where's Y/N?" I blurted out. "Is she okay?"

"She's fine," the doctor said. I finally let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding. "She's beaten up pretty badly, but after some rest, she should be back on her feet."

"Can I see her?" I asked. "Please. I gotta. . . I gotta see her."

"Are you Steve?" The doctor asked.

"I am."

"She's been asking for you."

* * * * *

I burst through the room, my stomach flipping when  I saw Y/N laying in the hospital bed. My heart jumped into my throat as she slowly turned towards me.

"Hey," she mumbled. I ran over, collapsing into the chair next to her bed. I opened and closed my mouth, unable to find the right words. I looked into her tired eyes, wanting nothing more than to wrap my arms around her and never let go.

Before I could stop myself, I stood up and pressed my lips to hers. It was clear that I had caught her off guard. She slowly started kissing me back. We got into the kiss, but I slowly pulled away. I leaned my forehead against hers.

"Don't do that."

"What?" She chuckled weakly. "Be a hero?"

"Don't make me think I'm going to lose you," I corrected. "Vecna would be the least of our problems if I lost you. If something happened to you, I'd burn this whole town to the ground."

"You're so dramatic," she giggled.

"You're damn right I am." I leaned back and sat in the chair, pulling it closer to her bed. I grabbed her hand, tracing the bruises.

"I am not going to lose you, Y/N."

"You're damn right you're not." I looked up to see Y/N teasingly smirking at me. She pulled on our intertwined hands, inviting me to lay next to her. The second I did, I wrapped my arms gently around her.

"How's Max?" She asked, sleep present in her voice.

"She's going to be okay."

"Are you sure?" I looked down to see Y/N looking up at me. "Please don't lie to me, Steve."

"It's bad," I gave in. "She got through surgery alright but she slipped into a coma and they aren't sure when she's going to wake up."

Y/N's eyes filled with tears as she tucked back into my chest. I reached up and ran my fingers through her hair.

"She's going to be okay," I whispered. "She's a fighter. I think you've rubbed off on her."

"You've rubbed off on them too," Y/N said, her eyes drooping. I sighed as I relaxed more into the bed.

"You should get some rest."

She grabbed me like she was afraid I was going to leave. "Stay," she whispered. "Please?"

"I'm not going anywhere."