Even Actors Make Mistakes-Joe Keery

I rode my bike to work, mentally preparing myself to clean tables, take orders, and put on my Customer Service Smile all while standing on my feet for the next six hours. Music played through my headphones as I rode my regular route to work. Until. . .

I gasped when a car hit my back tire and I was thrown off my bike. I'm not sure how far I rolled, but I stayed on the asphalt as a wave of pain washed over my entire body.

"I am so sorry! Are you alright?"

I gasped as the guy who hit me gently helped me sit up. He started looking me over for injuries but all he was doing was making me feel uncomfortable.

"I'm fine," I said through my teeth, trying to hide my pain.

I looked up and instantly recognized him. The rising star, Joe Keery, just hit me with his car. He jumped when I took a step out of his hold.

"Are you sure?" He stuttered. He tried to reach for me, but I instantly moved away.

"I told you," I said quickly, "I'm fine. I don't need your help."

"I wasn't paying attention and. . ."

"Of course not," I scoffed. "I bet you were looking at your phone. Now, if you don't mind. . ."

"At least let me take you to the hospital," he said, trying to sound lighthearted.

"I think you've done enough."

* * * * *

After a check-up with the ER doctor, I called work and took the day off. Even though my boss was oddly uptight for the manager of a sandwich shop, getting hit by a car is one of those reasons you can't ignore.

I spent the day, relaxing at home. The next day, I walked into work still sore. Throughout my shift, I constantly had to sit down. Luckily Lexi, my coworker, was a lot chiller than our boss.

"Girl," she sighed, "I told you. Just go home. It's been a slow day and Mr. Westin isn't even here."

"I'm fine," I said through my teeth as I stood up.

She opened her mouth to say something, but a customer walked in. I looked over my shoulder, looking at who walked in. When I saw who walked in, my breath got stuck in my throat. And not for the same reason Lexi's got caught in hers.

"O. . . M. . . G. . ." Lexi giggled. She leaned in and whispered, "Joe Keery just came in. Ugh, and he's coming up to order. I wish I didn't have to clean the tables."

"I'll do it," I said quickly. I cleared my throat before adding, "You take his order and I'll wipe down the tables. I need to stretch my legs."

As he walked up to the counter, I grabbed the cleaning supplies and started cleaning the booths. I could feel him watching me, but I ignored it. I tried to, at least.

"Hey."

I clenched my jaw when I felt Joe walk up to me. I continued wiping down the table as the actor nervously stood behind me.

"How are you feeling?" He asked, slightly clearing his throat.

"I'm fine," I said as I continued to wipe off the table. When I was done, I turned around to see him still there.

"Are you sure?"

"It's none of your concern," I sighed.

"Well, I was the one who hit you," he mumbled as he scratched the back of his neck.

I walked around him and started cleaning another booth. "Can I make it up to you?" He asked following behind me.

"Please don't," I mumbled.

"Come on," he chuckled. "I can buy you a cup of coffee or we can go to dinner."

"How did you find me?" I asked, spinning around and catching him off-guard.

"Well," he hesitated, "we were down the road and I recognized your apron and name tag."

"Oh," I said under my breath. I messed with the rag, not sure what to do.

"Listen," he sighed. "I'm really sorry about the accident and I'd love to make it up to you."

"It's not necessary," I started to say.

"Yes, it is," Joe persisted. "Can I buy you a cup of coffee?"

"Joe," I sighed, "after an accident, you exchange insurance information, not a date."

"Why can't we exchange insurance information while we're on our date?" He asked playfully.

"Because you're an actor," I blurted out.

"What does that mean?"

"It's just. . ." I stuttered. "You're Steve Harrington. I make sandwiches."

"So?"

"No one would believe that someone like you would go for or want to go for someone like me."

"That doesn't matter" Joe shrugged.

"Maybe not to someone like you," I whispered. "But it does to someone like me." I started to walk away but he caught my wrist.

"Trust me," he said softly. "I don't care what other people think or say about me. I care about getting to know you."

He paused before adding, "Please, Y/N. Can I take you on a date?"

"Well," I said hesitantly after a few seconds of silence. "Even actors make mistakes."

"So?" He said with a small laugh. "Does that mean yes?"

"Yes."