Senioritis-Steve Harrington

I leaned my head back against the headrest as Steve and I listened to music before school. I closed my eyes, slightly drumming my fingers on my knees. I smiled, my eyes still closed when I felt Steve reach over and grab my hand. I slowly opened my eyes and looked over at him.

"You okay?" I asked softly.

"Yeah," he said, not at all convincingly.

"Steve," I sighed as I sat up and turned toward him. "Talk to me."

"I told you. . ."

"I've known you my entire life," I cut him off with a chuckle. "Which means I know when you're lying and putting on a brave face. So talk to me, Steve. What's wrong?"

"I just keep thinking about graduation," he finally confessed.

"Yeah?"

"Yeah," he shrugged. "You're going to school out of state and I'm a little worried."

"Worried?" I echoed. "Why are you. . ."

My heart sank when I looked over to see Steve staring intently at the steering wheel. I squeezed his hand, making him look at me. "Steve, you're my best friend. Just because I'm going to school out of state, doesn't mean that changes."

"I know," he stuttered. "Maybe. . . Maybe I can come and visit?"

"Of course," I smiled. "I'd love that."

"Maybe I can come once a month or every weekend."

"Every weekend?" I giggled. "Don't you think that's a little much? Why would you want to visit that much?"

"Just to look after you a little bit," he shrugged. "Make sure you don't forget about this pretty face."

I reached over and cupped his cheek in my hand. "I could never forget this pretty face."

I was about to pull my hand away but Steve reached up and grabbed my wrist.

"Promise?" He whispered.

"Of course," I said, my heart sinking. "Steve, we've been best friends since we were little. I'd never forget you."

"But you're going away to college," he said, finally pulling my hand from his face. He kept my hand in his, intertwining our fingers. "You're going to be surrounded by smart college guys who didn't almost fail out of high school and have to spend the next year working at an ice cream shop to save money."

"They're nothing compared to my best friend back in Hawkins."

Steve leaned in and pressed his lips to mine. There wasn't much to the kiss. It was simple but said so much. He slowly broke the kiss and leaned his forehead against mine.

"Promise you won't forget me?" He whispered.

"I could never. Even if I tried," I whispered back. "And I wouldn't."

* * * * *

I fixed my cap, my hands shaking. I gasped when Steve wrapped his arms around my waist. He leaned his chin on my shoulder and tightened his arms around me.

"You ready, babe?" He asked.

"I'm weirdly nervous," I sighed.

"Are you telling me Miss Valedictorian is nervous about her big speech?" He teased.

"Steve," I sighed as I walked out of his hold. I walked over to my makeup counter and nervously reorganized my brushes.

"I was just teasing," he chuckled as he walked over. He grabbed my elbow and spun me around.

"You're going to do great," he smiled as he pulled me into his chest and wrapped his arms around me.

He leaned down and pressed his lips to mine. I sighed as I started kissing him back.

"Come on," he whispered as he broke the kiss. "We gotta get to the school."

"I don't know if I can do this," I said, looking down. Steve gently lifted my chin.

"Find me in the crowd," he smiled. "If you get nervous, just find me. You've practiced your speeches and presentations in front of me all the time. This will be just like that."

"I'm crazy about you, Steve Harrington."

"And I'm crazy about you, Y/F/N Y/L/N."

* * * * *

Steve was right. As soon as I got nervous, I found Steve in the crowd. He smiled at me and gave me a flirtatious wink. For the rest of my speech, I didn't look away from Steve.

After the ceremony, Steve went to dinner with his parents and I went with mine. After dinner, Steve snuck over. I laughed as he basically fell into my room.

"You've been climbing through my window since middle school and you still fall through it," I giggled.

"Hey!" He laughed. "I'm stealthy."

"Says that guy that just yelled in his girlfriend's room with her parents downstairs," I smirked.

"It's not like we were doing anything," he smirked back. I laughed as he pulled me into his chest and added, "Yet."

Suddenly, his teasy smile dropped.

"Hey," I whispered. "Are you still worrying about me leaving?"

"Of course I am," he sighed as he let go of me and sat on the edge of my bed. I sat next to him and reached over, grabbing his hand.

"Steve," I whispered, "I promise, me going to college isn't going to change anything."

"But you'll be far away," he stuttered. "What if you meet someone and forget about me? What if. . ."

"I'm not going to forget you," I interrupted him. "Steve, we've been best friends since birth. You've walked me to school every day. You've stood up for me against every bully. You've encouraged me whenever I was nervous. You've supported me in every possible way."

"But I'm a loser who has to spend the rest of the summer scooping ice cream," he mumbled.

"You're not a loser," I said, scooting closer to him. I leaned my chin on his shoulder and smiled when he looked at me.

"I'm proud of you," I whispered.

"Proud?" He sighed. "I'm scooping ice cream all summer."

"You're working to save money," I clarified. "That's something to be proud of."

"You're going to college," he sighed.

"Steve, I promise I will be a typical nerd. Studying and homework. Absolutely no partying."

Steve smirked as he wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me closer.

"Promise you won't go off and fall in love with some college guy and never come home."

I lifted my head and grabbed his chin, turning him towards me. I smiled before gently pressing my lips to his. I broke the kiss with a shy smile on my face.

"I promise to come home to boy I already love."