Chapter 52: Festivals & Flurries

Start from the beginning

They shared a laugh as the man returned Shane's change. It was only a moment before both your and your fiance's arms were piled high with all sorts of foods and drinks. Not knowing where to go next, the two of you turned around to face the festival when a familiar voice greeted you.

"UNCLE SHANE! (Y/N)!" A darling voice echoed across the snowy plain. You both looked up to see Shane's niece, Jas, dashing towards you as Shane's aunt, Marnie, tried to catch up.

"Hey, Princess Jas!" Shane grinned, trying to figure out a way to hug her without dropping any food.

Quickly Marnie arrived, slightly out of breath. "I swear she's the only thing that actually moves faster in the snow." She shook her head in disbelief. "It looks like you two got enough food to feed the village."

"We'd love to share it with you two." You offered, jumping on the opportunity to pawn off bits of food. "We just wanted to try a bunch of things."

"Can I have some plum pudding?!" Jas screeched excitedly, reaching up to try and grab it from Shane. "It's my favorite!"

The rest of the day continued on in a similar manner, enjoying the company of all of the townspeople and taking part in new traditions that you quickly embraced. You both walked home absolutely exhausted, immediately falling into bed. You could barely muster up enough energy to lean your head up for a goodnight kiss and instantly fell into a blissful, rejuvenating sleep.

The Valley was known for two prominent Wintertime celebrations: the Festival of Ice and the Feast of the Winter Star. Feast of the Winter Star was also commonly celebrated in Zuzu City, but Pelican Town had its own traditions for the solstice holiday that you were excited to experience. To begin with, exactly one week before the holiday, Mayor Lewis mailed everyone in the Valley a letter stating to whom to give a "secret" gift. You were lucky enough to have been given Jas as your secret gift recipient, and you had the perfect gift.

"I really hope Jas likes this porcelain tea set." You muttered as you and your fiancé wrapped presents before leaving for the festival. "What do you think?"

Shane just looked up at you and smiled. "I know she'll love it. And it's so sweet that you care so much." He walked over to the fridge and pulled out a six-pack of beer bottles. "And I'm positive that Clint will like this." He let out a deep, hearty laugh as plopped down on the couch next to you. "I can't wait to go. The food at the Feast is always the best. Gus really pours his heart and soul into it each year. Homemade candy canes, deviled eggs, the works. Just delicious." He kissed his fingers in a phony chef's kiss.

Once you had everything wrapped up at home, the two of you set off towards the main square of Pelican Town. It had been completely redecorated with a large fir tree and two large tables for the Feast. You and Shane set your presents down and eagerly joined Lewis, Marnie, and Jas at a table.

George, Evelyn, and Alex sat across from you, and Haley and Emily were to your left. It took no time at all for Marnie to excitedly mention your upcoming wedding. "Did you hear that Shane and (Y/N) are engaged? The wedding is next week!"

"I'm overjoyed for you both." Evelyn smiled sweetly. "The spring flowers should be beginning to bloom, you will have the prettiest arrangements. I promise!"

You couldn't help but blush at their excitement. "Aww, thank you!"

"Never thought it would happen, huh?" Emily nudged Shane's arm jokingly. She had seen him through the worst, so you could tell the comment meant a lot more to both of them than they were letting on.

"You know it." Shane chuckled. "I gotta say that I lucked out here."

"What does your dress look like?" Haley asked you excitedly. "And I must say that I'm offended you didn't come to me for advice on it."

You gestured to Shane. "I can't tell you now!" You joked, making fun of wedding superstition.

The entire table had loads of questions for the both of you, regarding everything from the wedding to the farm to your personal lives. "Will you continue at JojaMart?" Sam asked his longtime coworker from the other end of the table.

"No, I put in my notice on Monday. Tomorrow is my last day at that damned job." Shane raised his glass in a cheers motion before taking a swig of the holiday ale. "Saturday begins my life as a farmer, I guess."

"More like farmhand." Marnie joked, winking at you. "We know who really runs the show around here."

The rest of the meal continued in a similar manner until it was time for the exchanging of secret gifts. Jas eagerly tore hers open, revealing the pink and blue miniature porcelain tea set you had selected especially for her. "I love it Aunt (Y/N)!" It was the first time she had called you her aunt, and your heart melted into a puddle of love. You knew that whatever gift you received couldn't compare to the feeling of being accepted as a member of the little girl's family.

That sentiment was challenged when you turned around to see Emily holding a small white box, carefully wrapped with a sheer baby pink ribbon. "Here, this is for you. Merry Feast of the Winter Star!"

"Thanks, Emily!" You opened it to reveal a darling jade bracelet, complete with a rose gold chain and a clasp that perfectly complimented the polished green gemstone. "Woah, it's gorgeous!"

"Just a little something I thought you could wear on your wedding day. I'm so happy for you and Shane both. Before he met you, I was sort of the closest thing he had to a friend, and I'm so glad to see where he is now, how far he's progressed, and how happy you make each other. I wish you both the utter best and I can't wait to see the wonderful lives you lead together."

If you weren't already in tears, you were now. "Oh, Em!" You embraced her before wiping your eyes. "Thank you, it's so precious!"

While only four seasons ago you had been nervous about what life in Pelican Town would entail, the end of your first year was better than anything you could have dreamt of and the perfect summation of the beautiful future you hope to have here in Stardew Valley.

✏️ A/N: Hey all! I'm getting back into the swing of things and I hope you enjoyed this chapter! The next installment: Chapter 53: Final Touches, will (hopefully) be out on Sunday, January 22, 2023. I haven't been updating as well as I would like lately so I hope to get this out to you on time and I'm so sorry if it's late. Anyways, thank you so much for sticking with me and I hope you have a wonderful week! xoxo Kira