- c h a p t e r - f i f t y-o n e -

Start from the beginning

Regulus.

Her eyes widened a fraction as she raised a brow, "Yes, Monsieur Black?"

"May I speak with you, Perriweather?" His voice was hushed as it was late in the night.

Violet just stared at him–hesitation fueling her. Still, she surrendered to whatever begged her to let him in and opened the door further.

Regulus stepped in as she closed it behind him–taking in the contents of her room.

There wasn't anything out of the ordinary besides the faux Slytherin Quidditch sweater.

He stared at it for a long moment before slowly turning to her–his grey eyes sharp and expectant, "Well?"

Her stomach twisted as she shot back, "Well, what?"

"Stop these pretences."

"What pretences?"

Regulus gave her an unamused look before he glanced at the door.

He pulled his wand out–waving it around the room, uttering noise-cancelling charms.

"What are you doing?" She demanded–her voice cold and slightly panicked.

He spun on her, his voice low despite having just placed the Muffliato charm on the room, "Violet, drop it."

The air was stifling for about fifteen seconds before Violet released a heavy breath–her shoulders drooping as she rushed to him, throwing her arms around him, "Reg..."

She buried her face into his shoulder as his arms immediately tightened around her–holding her close.

It was a long moment before he pulled away–his arms on her shoulders as he demanded, "Why in the name of Salazar Slytherin are you here? How are you here?"

Violet glanced over her shoulder–her paranoia still strong as she answered, "Because...because of Dumbledore."

Regulus pulled his hands away from her–almost like she had burned him and furrowed his brow, "What?"

I am so dumb...Months of training and I slip up in my friend-turned-Death Eater

Violet pressed her lips together–her guards rising further as she said dryly, "I can't go any further into detail."

He stared at her–emotions flickering across his face before nodding, "I get it..." Violet was sure he would get angry or maybe even rat her out. Instead, he placed his hands on her face–his voice solemn and sincere, "And I'm not going to tell anyone..."

Shock filled her.

She could see in his silver eyes–ones so similar to his older brother's–that he was telling the truth.

Her chin fell to her chest as she said in a rush of air, "Thank the stars..."

Regulus laughed softly before his tone shifted, and he murmured, "I'm sorry Dumbledore put you in that situation. I had no idea he was going to do such a thing...Especially with your–your parents."

He stammered out the last part, and Violet knew he was just trying to be considerate, but it still hurt.

She lifted her gaze to him, and she shrugged,

Violet winced, "People have been surprising me increasingly as I've grown up. I should have known he would ask me to pull a stunt like this. Reg, I have to get out..." She sucked in a small breath before she placed her own hands on his and whispered, "Reg, I have to get out of here."