Chapter 6: The Explanation

Peter woke up in a bed. His eyes hurt and his body ached. He started to sit up. His eyes adjusted to the light and he could see where he was. A bedroom. Tony Stark's guest bedroom to be exact, but Peter didn't know that. It was plainly decorated with a few paintings dotting the room. There was a window on the left and two nightstands on either side of the bed. Peter looked at himself. He was still in the same clothes he was wearing the day before. Only this time, he wasn't wearing his suit jacket. Suddenly, the door handle started to move. Peter's spider senses started to kick in. The handle turned. The door was pushed. And in, walked Tony Stark.

"Welcome back kid," he said.

"Mr. Stark?" Peter started. "What happened?"

"You passed out and I brought you here."

"Where is, 'here'?"

"One of my houses in Queens."

"Right. Uh. Well, I should get going," Peter said, as he started to get out of bed. Tony stood right in front of Peter, and he said, "No."

"But I have some stuff to do."

"Yeah. You gotta tell me what happened."

"What do you mean?" Peter asked as he looked around the room for exits.

"You said everyone forgot you. Tell me what happened." Peter sighed and flopped back on his bed. He wasn't getting out of this one. Tony sat next to him. "Tell me."

Peter looked at his hands. He couldn't face Tony. He knew he was gonna have to eventually, but not yet. Not then. Reluctantly, Peter started his story. "After you died, no one knew what we were going to do. Mr. Captain America," Tony smirked, "Went back in time and grew old with Mrs. Peggy."

"He did that." Tony said, astonished. "Never thought he would. Go on kid."

"So I got the glasses you gave me—"

"You did? Good. Hoped you liked them. Sorry. Continue."

"Well the glasses caused a lot of trouble and I met this guy. He called himself Mysterio and said he was from another universe. I believed him, but it was all a mistake. We fought villains, but they weren't real. And I gave him the glasses. Then he exposed me. And I went to Mister-Doctor Strange. He did a spell to make everyone forget me, but instead we opened the multiverse. I met other versions of me and we saved some of their bad guys. But we also fought one of their bad guys called, Green Goblin. And he—" Peter's voice trailed off. Tony looked at the boy with concerned eyes.

"What happened?" he asked cautiously.

Before he could stop himself, Peter blurted out, "He killed her. He killed May." He choked out as tears started to run down his face. Tony stared at Peter speechless.

"So, that's why," Tony murmured. He put his arm around Peter and pulled him close. He gently stroked his hair. Peter was crying silently. He looked down to his trembling hands. The pair sat like that for a while; Peter crying and Tony stroking his hair.

"Strange cast another spell to make everyone forget me, so it would save our world from other villains coming," Peter finally whispered. Tears were still streaming down his face, but he was starting to calm down. Tony stayed silent. He didn't have the heart to say anything. Plus, he thought anything he would say might make it worse. So, like any sane person who didn't come back to life a few days ago, he asked the question:

"Do you want food?" Peter looked up from his hands and at Tony. A small smirk was seen on the boy's face. "I'll take that as a yes." Tony gave Peter a loving nudge and added, "You'll want some insects right?"

___________________________________________________________

So I finally had the motivation to write this. And inspiration. A bit shorter than I wanted, but it should be fine. I'll write again when I have motivation.

- Winter