Well Needed Rest -Chapter 4

Jason woke up slowly. He could see the dim haze of sunlight leaking through the tattered blinds. Well, however much sunlight that Gotham gets anyway. Jason made a move to sit up, but his arm was caught. His whole body stiffened, readying for an attack, but when he turned his head he saw a kid in his teens laying next to him. Suddenly, all of it came back. Finding the kid in the alleyway. Getting him medical attention and then bringing him back to his apartment before the kid freaked out. The kid hugging Jason, not letting him leave. Jason ended up sleeping in the bed with him to keep him safe when he refused to let go.

Jason stayed where he was. He was half sitting with his back propped up on an old, out-of-shape pillow that, honestly, probably had old blood stains on it. He looked down at the kid. He was laying on his side with his head pressed into Jason's side under his arm. Jason was surprised to see that his own arm was wrapped over him and placed gently on his shoulder. In the kid's hand was holding a loosely bunched-up portion of Jason's shirt. A last-ditch effort to keep him trapped here. It was effective.

Jason glanced around the room. He didn't know what time it was. He knew it was afternoon given the window it was coming through, but that was about it. He didn't keep a clock in his room. He used his phone for that. Said phone, that he left in the living room when he first heard the kid wake up and crash from the bedroom. He didn't really have anything else to do today, but he wasn't used to sleeping in.

On the other hand, the kid curled into him definitely needed sleep. He needed a lot of things to heal but right now rest was at the top of that list. Jason stared at the kid again, noticing something odd. It sounded almost like a buzzing sound at first. Jason listened closer and almost laughed when he realized. The kid was letting out a light purring noise as he breathed.

Jason tilted his head. This kid definitely wasn't fully human. Jason was betting on meta, given the collar. Most humans didn't purr or make keening sounds, but Jason didn't know that many metas that did that either. Still, there was a first time for everything. It was kind of cute though.

And the collar. Jason could feel the metal digging into one of his ribs. Jason narrowed his eyes. Who would put this on a kid? He still didn't know what it was doing to him. A green light emanated from one of the indicators, so it was definitely still doing something. Jason would have to ask him when he wakes up.

The kid shifted slightly, disturbing the mess of his dark shaggy hair. It was matted with dried dark green flecks near the roots. Jason would have to get him to take a shower or bath when he was up to it. Jason also has to go to the store and get some new clothes. Jason's stuff would make him look like a swamped kitten, and the clothes Leslie gave were similarly too big. While he was out getting clothes he should also grab some food. He'd have to find out if the kid is allergic to anything and what he likes.

Suddenly he felt the fist clenched into his shirt tighten. Jason stayed still and slowly looked down. The kid's eyes stared back up at him. Glowing green. Jason could feel that tinge of fear in the air again, but held the kid's gaze. "Hey, you're okay." Jason tried softly.

Jason slowly removed his arm from where it was resting on the kid's side. The kid hesitated for a second, looking like he wanted to run to the far side of the room. But his own hand wrapped into Jason's shirt was stopping him with his iron-tight grip.

"Don't worry," Jason tried again, "I don't want to hurt you."

The kid glanced at him up and down. Jason recognized the look as scanning for weapons or danger. "Do you remember any of last night, kid?" Jason asked. The kid stayed frozen. He looked like a spooked animal ready to jump at the slightest movement. "You seemed really scared last night. But I was there to protect you right?" The kid's eyes seemed to soften, and he nodded slowly.