Chapter 13: Birthday

~ADRIEN~

He can't shake it. The entire time he sketched the girl on the rooftop, all he could think about was the night he had spent with her.

The feeling of safety, the feeling of home, more familiar than that of the empty mansion where he used to live. This girl had single-handedly given him more affection in one night than his father ever had in his whole life.

He smiles to himself as he walks back to his apartment in the dark. They had finally decided to call it for a day. He actually got a good amount done, despite being entranced by the display before him.

She is beautiful. They had only known each other for maybe two months now, but something about her is so enchanting. He grins at the thought.

"I'm gonna slap that stupid smitten smirk off your face if you don't quit," a familiar and annoying voice rasps from inside his shirt pocket. 

Adrien glances down at the perpetrator with a frown. "Shut up or I'll do it for you."

"I'd like to see you try," the little black creature retorts, blowing a raspberry at him.

Adrien just shakes his head in exasperation. The kwami would never change.

He unlocks the door to his apartment. Inside is a simple, modern interior with large windows on one wall that face the Eiffel Tower. Adrien had chosen this because he can't stand to feel like he's trapped. The city glows with artificial light in the most spectacular way possible, like stars in the sky.

Adrien sets down his bag, a long sigh escaping his mouth as he sits on the couch in front of the windows, simply staring at the beautiful city before him.

"Your birthday is coming up, you know," Plagg remarks. "Are you gonna do anything?"

"I don't know," Adrien mutters. "I guess I could ask the gang to come over."

"And that new girl?" Plagg teases.

Adrien glances over at Plagg, who is currently sitting on the couch eating camembert. "Yeah, sure."

"You know you keep, like, randomly staring at her, right?" asks the kwami.

Adrien's head spins back around to face him. "Huh?"

"You do!" Plagg insists. "In class, today at her apartment, whenever you visit her as Chat Noir."

Adrien stares blankly at the kwami, a wave of shock washing over him. Had it been that obvious?

He turns back to the window. "She has this inexplicable air about her that just feels right," Adrien starts. "I can't figure it out, though."

"Well, I guess you'll have to invite her then," Plagg suggests.

Adrien slowly pulls out his phone, staring at the dark screen. "Looks like I'll have to start planning this thing."

~ ~ ~

I stand outside of Adrien's apartment, a small staircase leading up to the front door. The place isn't overly large, but it's its own building, complete with a squared off little yard. The building stands tall and white, gleaming in the evening light.

Adrien had invited me over a few days ago for his birthday, along with some of his other friends. In all honesty, I'm pretty nervous—Adrien and I had been getting closer over the course of our project, but I had never met any of his friends.

I walk up the front steps and ring the doorbell, clutching my bag. Adrien had suggested that I bring a small bag of stuff in case I decided to stay the night.