Chapter Twenty Eight

Start from the beginning

The cats leaned forward in anticipation, as if they all hoped to see the two cats emerge from the wreckage.
Instead, two bodies were seen laying side by side as the fire disappeared.

"Autumn!" A large black tom rushed towards the bodies. Thistlestrike assumed it was Shade.

Shade reached the corpses, gasping slightly as he came closer to the charred cats.

"Autumn..." He whispered. "Is dead."

He turned to the remaining tribe cats.

"This battle is over!" Shade yowled loudly.

Murmurs of surprise erupted from the clan cats. But the tribe cats simply dipped their heads in silence.
Shade gestured towards another large cat, who padded up to him quietly. The two toms then gently lifted Autumnleaf's body, and started toward the path out of four trees.

The rest of the tribe looked at each other before following them. Some glared and hissed at the clan cats, but none of them protested to stay and fight.

"Why...why are they leaving?" Brackenheart whispered in awe.

Realization dawned on Thistlestrike.

"Because Autumnleaf promised them land and refuge. With her gone, so is their hope. They rely on leadership."

She glanced at Brackenheart who struggled to sit up, whimpering slightly.

"Stay down." She ordered. "You'll need two cats to help you up. You probably broke your paw."

He sighed before laying back down slowly.

Thistlestrike gazed around the hallow as clan cats began to find their clan mates. Bodies were all across the hallow, blood staining the leaves.

So many dead...

Her eyes widened in fear.

"Rainpaw!" She yowled fearfully, looking around.

"Thistlestrike!"

She turned to see her sister sprinting towards her. The two she-cats met, laying each others heads on the others shoulder.

"Thank Starclan you're okay." Thistlestrike meowed quietly.

"You too." Rainpaw's voice cracked.

They pulled away and Thistlestrike's eyes landed on Fernwish, who was gazing at the Breezerunners body from where she lay.

"Go to her." Rainpaw whispered.

Thistlestrike nodded before padding over to the she-cat.

"Don't ask if I'm okay." Fernwish hissed under her breath.

"I wasn't going to." Thistlestrike meowed.

It was silent for a moment.

"I can't go over there..." Fernwish mumbled. "I can't see him...like that." She paused for a moment. "I loved him."

Thistlestrike sighed, looking around. The remaining clan cats huddled into their clans, unsure what to do.

She leaned her head close to Fernwish's ear.

"I know you're in a lot of pain. But for your sake, you have to be strong and pull yourself together. Even though you are a chosen one, the warrior code still applies. Nobody can know about you and Breezerunner's...relationship."

Fernwish's eyes narrowed to slits before taking a deep breath.

"Your right." Her face hardened and she stood up shakily. "I'm fine." With that, she shouldered past her, towards the group of Riverclan cats.