Happy New Year

'There,' Noel smiles, crawling out from under the mail machine. 'All fixed.' Bernard helps her up, the other elves clap and cheer. Brushing her knees off, Noel walks away from the cheering elves, followed by a rushing Bernard.

'oh!' she pauses, turning back to her boyfriend. 'What time is it?' Noel asks, pointing down at Bernard's hand crafted watch. 'Um, 11, 47.' He replies, looking up from his watch. 'Ooo.' Noel smiles, 'Nearly time.' She smiles, grabbing his hand before pulling him towards Scott's office. Running down the decorated halls, Noel and Bernard smile and laugh, wishing this moment would never end. The feeling of Bernard's hand in hers fills Noel with excitement.

Moments before reaching the tall wooden door, Bernard pulls Noel around, spinning her into his chest. Faces close together, Noel leans in for his soft lips, but before reaching them the door flies open. Pushing away from one enough, the couple turn to see Scott standing at the door, 'what did I miss?' Scott yawns as he approaches the pair.

Bernard and Noel look at each other, their red faces glowing. 'Nothing, we just went to help fix the mail machine.' Noe says in panic as she looks up at her uncle. 'The mail machine? That broke again?' Scott asks brushing down his fluffed up beard. 'Yes. We must get it replaced.' Bernard nods.

'How long have we got?' Scott asks leaving the pair confused. 'New years?'

'Oh, um.' Bernard sighs, struggling to look at his watch. Looking over at her uncle, Noel awkwardly smiles, hoping he didn't see the moment between her and Bernard. 'It's 11:57, sir.' Bernard says breaking Noel's thought. 'Oh really.' Scott claps his hand excitedly. 'We should go into the office.' Noel says, smiling at her uncle then secret boyfriend. 'Yeah, yeah, yeah.' Scott says running back into his office, followed by Noel and Bernard.

'When are we going to tell him?' Bernard whispers to Noel as they enter Scott's office. 'Later.' Noel raises her hand, dismissing Bernard.

'1 minute.' Scott cheers as Judy enters the room with a tray of cider. Handing one to each person, she takes the tray and goes to leave the room. 'Stay.' Noel smiles as she leans against the fireplace, feeling the warmth come over her. Judy grins as she places her tray under her arm.

Noel stands and takes in the love from the room, waiting for the minute to pass. Looking over at Bernard on the other side of the room, standing next to Scott, Noel smiles with a hint of flirting which makes his glittery cheeks glow.

'30 seconds' Scott smiles, looking up at the clock in on the wall.

Noel bites her lip as the time counts down, the hand on the clock tricking. She watches as it passes each little line. Wishing she could give her midnight kiss to Bernard.

'20 seconds.'

Looking down from the clock, Noel smiles at Scott who giggles like a child being handed candy.

'10 seconds.' Scott laughs looking around at the 3 elves.

'9'

Noel's desire for Bernard growing stronger.

'8'

She looks over at him, wishing she was standing there, showing her love for him.

'7'

Looking back up at the clock, watching the next second go,

'6'

She wants Bernard.

'5'

Rushing over to him she grabs his arm before pushing passed Scott.

'4'

'Where are you going?' Scott asks, watching the pair leave through the tall, wooden door.

'3'

Closing the door behind her, Noel pushes Bernard around the corner, passing the tall doors either side of them.

'2'

'What are you doing?' Bernard looks down at her with love in his eyes

'1'

'HAPPY NEW YEAR!' Shouts Scott from the other room.

Pulling Bernard closer to herself, Noel's soft delicate lips connect with his. The midnight kiss she hoped for. Melting into his girlfriend, Bernard's hands search her body, finding their way to her hair. Noel's hand fall into his locks, twiddling each stand with her fingers.

Pulling away, Noel's face glows, the shimmer on her cheeks shining. Leaning her head to Bernard's, she smiles, giggling towards him. Bernard feels her love for him. Noel feels his love for her.

This was going to be the perfect life for them.

Although,

Perfection is not true. It will never be true. It will never be what they hoped it would be.