Chapter 17

The club finished up their song, ending the release of the note with one big strike.

Jake smiled, turning to band behind him. "That was amazing-!"

The fire alarm went off, ringing loudly.

Everyone gasped, as Hailey opened the door. "Move it! Make sure no one gets lost!"

Everyone filed into a line, following Hailey. Light smoke started flying into the air, and they all clamped hands over their mouths.

They reached a fire exit, and quickly shuffled out. Before Luke was able to get through the door, a specific blonde shoved him out of the way. "Out of my way! Ladies first!"

Luke was knocked to the ground, and quickly tried to scramble up. But before he could, a piece of the ceiling cracked from all the pressure and fell on top of him, trapping him to the floor.

Luke tried with all his might, but to avail. It wouldn't budge.

Outside Hailey did a quick head count. "Me, Milly, Sean, Jake, Zander... Where's Luke!?"

Everyone quickly glanced around, calling out stuff like, "Luke! Where are you!?" or, "Has anyone seen Luke!?"

"He was there when we got to the exit!" Zander breathed worriedly.

"Did something happen!?" Jake shrieked. "M-maybe he's just helping someone who got stuck? Please..."

"The fire's not that bad at the exit... I'm going back in!" Zander immediately dashed in through the door.

"Zander, no-!" Hailey shrieked, but it was too late. "Son of a-!"

Zander ran into the school, swinging his head wildly. He soon saw Luke, a piece of the ceiling practically stapled to his back.

"Luke!" Zander gasped, crouching down to him. He tried lifting the piece, but to no avail.

"Zander, I've tried... It won't budge! Just go. The smoke's getting worse-" He broke into a coughing fit, his hand turning a horrid shade of black.

"I'm not leaving you!" Zander shrieked, grabbing only Luke's right hand and pulling as hard as he could. "C'mon, we just..." He coughed slightly, his nose wrinkling in disgust.

"Zander, I'm coming!" Jake immediately rushed in, grabbing onto the concrete slab on top of Luke.

The two struggled, despite Luke's disagreement. Their lungs grew weaker, the smoke only getting thicker. Eventually they got Luke enough room to wiggle free, and they quickly ran out of the exit they had entered.

They burst through the door, all in a huge coughing fit.

"Zander, Jake! That was very irresponsible-!" Hailey scolded, before Luke gave out one last wheeze and fell onto the grass, unconscious.

"Luke!"

A firetruck came rolling down, an ambulance following shortly behind it.

Ms. Jones nodded, turning to everyone. "Is anyone here hurt?"

"Luke passed out!" Milly called out. "And Zander and Jake inhaled a lot of smoke!"

Ms Jones turned, to see the two coughing furiously while trying to wake up Luke.

"Got it... Anyone else?" Ms. Jones scanned the room.

"My knee's scraped!" Zoey sobbed dramatically. "It burns so bad~!"

Henry sighed, before taking some gauze out of his backpack and walking over to her. "I got it."

"Thank you, Henry..." Ms. Jones walked up to the paramedics, explaining the situation.