Chapter 6

Jake had gone to school the next day still, bruises and scratches littering his body. He walked into the music room, prepared to be tackled by Zander.

Jake opened the door, flinching. Here's goes nothing-

"Jake!" Milly cried out. "I thought you wouldn't come today!"

"Hmm?" Jake hummed, glancing around the room. "W-where's Zander?"

Everyone stayed silent, until Hailey sighed, "He got suspended."

"W-what!?" Jake gasped.

"Jake, he beat you up for no reason. What'd you expect!?" Milly shrieked.

"For him to talk his way out of it just like in middle school!" Jake took a deep breath, trying to hold back the painful flashbacks.

"Huh?" Sean blinked.

"The ringleader of my bullies... His dad was friends with the principal, and would make... Generous donations to the school. Whenever he would get in trouble, he would simply threaten to tell his dad, stopping the donations..." Jake explained with a sigh. He gripped his jacket nervously.

Luke went up to him, giving him a big hug. "Jake... This isn't elementary school anymore. You're safe. And remember," He leaned close into Jake. "We're always here for you, and some of us would even beat someone up for you," He motioned to Milly. "She thinks of you as a brother."

Jake nodded. Why were his palms all of a sudden so sweaty?

"T-thanks, guys..." Jake smiled. "You guys truly are a wonderful family..."

Luke, who was still gripping onto him, immediately became tense. He gripped Jake's jacket even harder, and his eyes dilated slightly.

"Luke..?" Jake whispered. He eyed the club, who was gleaming at the two. "Uhm, can me and Luke go talk..?"

"Sure! Have fun making out!" Milly snickered slightly, waving mischievously.

"W-what-!?" Jake immediately turned flustered, before leading Luke out of the room. Once in the hall, Jake stared at the brunette. "What's wrong?"

"Well... I've already told Sean..." Luke sighed in defeat. "My parents. I came out to them as pansexual... My dad wasn't pleased. I told him off, saying 'If you're really my dad, you would love me for who I am!' Well that set him off. He and my mom were yelling all night, and in the morning, him and his stuff was gone..." Luke covered his hand, muffling his sob.

"Your dad..." Jake gulped. Just like mine. "I know what it feels like..."

Luke glared slightly at the blonde, skeptical. "What do you mean by that..?"

"When I came out as trans... My dad left," Jake immediately covered his mouth. Shit- I don't think I've told him yet.

"Trans..?" Luke blinked. "Oh... Didn't know that..." He glanced at the tense boy. "D-don't get me wrong, I'm happy that you told me! I just... Didn't know that... You hide it really well!"

"Yeah, I've been told that a lot," Jake laughed lightly. "But listen. If you ever need to talk to someone, I'll be here for you."

Luke gave Jake another hug. "Thank you..."

Jake could feel his face heat up, but hugged back.

What is wrong with me?