Chapter 8

Eventually, around sunset, they reached Luke's house. His mother, while worried, thanked the boys and offered for them to stay over the night.

Zander and Jake quickly shot their mom a text. They agreed, and they gave the news to Mrs. Peterson.

Mrs. Peterson smiled in relief. "Okay! Luke, you can take them to your room. I'll order some pizza... What flavors would you two like?'

"J-just cheese," Jake stuttered out.

"Any's fine with me," Zander shrugged.

"Okay! One cheese pizza, and one vegan pizza," Mrs. Peterson said, with a nod from her son.

Luke shakily grabbed the two, holding their hands.

Zander became flustered, and Jake felt something weird in his stomach. What was going on?

"C'mon, guys!" Luke led the two down a corridor, and opened a colorful door.

Inside, there was quite a comfy sanctuary. There was a wall with fake vines drawn on it, a shelf of potted plants on it. A little tent with beanbags, with blankets and pillows littering the floor. On a small wardrobe held a little white hamster, supplies off to the side.

And then there was the bed. It was colorful, with thousands of fluffy pillows adjourning his bed. On the side, sat a little penguin stuffed animal, with a red and white scarf wrapped around its neck.

"Your room's so cute!" Jake squealed. "And I didn't know you had a hamster! They're so cute~!"

The blonde turned to the two boys, and paused. "Uh, I mean- ugh..."

Luke had a hand up to his heart. "Y-you can hold him, if you'd like. My hamster, I mean-"

"I can!?" Jake cheered.

Luke carefully walked over to the cage, opening it. The tiny hamster jumped into his palm, and he walked over to the ecstatic boy.

"He really likes pets, but know that he has a hard time controlling his teeth. He'll bite you without hesitation," Luke explained, as Jake held up his hand.

The white hamster squeezed himself into Jake's grasp, staring at the unfamiliar person.

Jake petted the tiny creature, squealing softly. He then turned to Zander. Zander seemed the blushing slightly, as well as Luke.

"Zander, I know you like animals... Want to hold him, too?" Jake asked.

Zander blinked, before nodding. He walked over to Jake, and Jake opened up a path for the fuzzy hamster. He zoomed into Zander's palm, licking his fingers.

Zander laughed lightly, the tickling sensation breaking through his tough exterior.

Jake felt something. It was weird, he felt like he wanted the two boys all to himself. He just wanted to hold them or be held, either was fine with him.

What's wrong with me!? His mind screamed at him.