Chapter 8

"I can't let you do this, Hawkeye." Hunnicut breathed as he finally caught up with Pierce in the prep room. Pierce had already begun looking for some clean garments to wear for the operation; he stopped abruptly when Hunnicut spoke.

"Oh, so you can let my sister get shot, but you can't let me perform the operation?" Hawkeye replied curtly.

"I thought I was performing the operation, seeing as you two hadn't made an appearance." Charles Winchester stepped out from behind the white curtain, fully dressed and ready to go into the operating theatre.

The OR's doors were swung wide open as Colonel Potter made an impressive entrance into the prep room. His face was of thunder as he stormed up to the three doctors.

"What the heck do you think you're playing at? There's a young girl in there badly needing an operation and all you can do is stand around chatting! Now, I'm doing what I can for the Lieutenant but I expect to see someone treating Nurse Shayla immediately."

"I'm just getting kitted up, Colonel, then I'll be in." Pierce said quickly putting his comment in before either Hunnicut or Winchester got there first.

"Oh no, not you son, you shouldn't have that responsibility on your shoulders. Hunnicut, Winchester you share the operation, I have a feeling it will need both of you." Colonel Potter ordered.

With the Colonel's word, Charles was in the operating theatre and down to work, with the knowledge that, once kitted up, he would be joined by his colleague.

"Why should Hunnicut get to operate on her? He got her in there in the first place!" Pierce exclaimed not liking the orders given at all.

"Calm down, son, it was no one's fault. Hunnicut is as good a doctor as you and Winchester, just let them do their job. Get yourself a nice cup of tea and calm yourself down." The Colonel gave Hunnicut a reassuring nod, explaining not to worry about Pierce and concentrate on the task. He put a warming hand on Hawkeye's shoulder and led him away from the OR doors.

"I don't want tea Colonel; I just want to know she's alright." Hawkeye said in a much calmer tone, letting Colonel Potter lead him.

"I know, son, I know." Was all he could offer Hawkeye as comfort. He made sure Hawkeye was sat down and sent a nurse to fetch him a cup of tea despite him saying he didn't want one, Colonel Potter felt sure he would drink in regardless. With that he left him, returning to the nurse he had left with Lieutenant Frazer Green.  

Taking a chance, Margaret Houlihan slipped into the prep room, hoping fruitfully that she would find Pierce there. She had figured he wouldn't be allowed to carry out the operation and seeing as she hadn't seen him come out, he had to still be in the prep room.

"Pierce? May I sit with you a while?" Margaret asked tentatively. Pierce nodded without even raising an eyelid to who had entered, he could tell by the voice who it was. Cautiously Margaret took a seat next to Hawkeye on the bench; she remained on the edge, her hands gripping the sides.

"I'm sorry if I came over as very...abrupt earlier on, but well I assumed, we all did, that she was..."

"My girlfriend, I know, I let you believe that." Pierce finished her sentence.

Margaret gave Hawkeye a pitiful smile, she could see how concerned he was and could sympathise with him. She would be worried sick if it was her sibling in there, critically injured, undergoing an operation that she knew she could handle in a better state of mind. It would drive her mental having to wait outside, like the majority of patients' relatives, until news was given.