Chapter 4

They walked a little way in silence, each doting on the problem they faced. Pierce had his head down and hands stuffed in his pockets, Shayla clutched the list with both hands and kept it close to her body so as it wasn't damaged. Hunnicut was looking up into the sky for inspiration.

"I could borrow a jeep, drive out there and take a look." Hunnicut suggested, his eyes falling on a particular jeep parked near the entrance of the hospital tent.

"I'll go with you, you might need some help." Shayla offered.

"Oh no you're not, Shay, you're staying right here." Hawkeye interjected.

"I owe it to that boy in there, to help find his uncle, I'm going. It's my decision." Shayla replied trying to keep calm about it, although she couldn't help but feel annoyed at her brother's protection.

"Yeah, it would be helpful to have someone else with me. Someone who knew the situation." Hunnicut backed Shayla up, sensing there was going to be a big disagreement over this.

"Don't you side with her, you're not her big brother, I know what I'm doing and she's not going." Hawkeye stated.

"Ben, I'm an adult, I don't need your protection. Like it or not I can make my own decisions." Shayla added her voice flecked with irritation.

Hunnicut, feeling very much the third wheel in this argument, tried to assist it by suggesting they put the argument up for Colonel Potter to determine. That way it wasn't either of them winning or losing, it was simply being chosen for them. Agreeing that it was the only way it was going to be sorted, they picked up the pace, neither being able to contain their difference in opinion until it was finally solved for them.

Bursting through the door, Pierce, Shayla and Hunnicut filed hastily into the room. Radar almost dropped his document due to the suddenness of their entrance.

Ignoring the presence of Radar, Pierce and Hunnicut headed straight to the office door.

"Um, Guys, you can't go in there, the Colonel is, er, busy."  Radar warned them although the two captains paid him no attention.

Shayla snapped her head around when she heard him. She tried to grab her brother's arm to prevent him from going into the office and disturbing the Colonel at his work but she was too late. He had already pushed through the door, Hunnicut close behind him. Giving Radar an apologetic smile, Shayla followed her brother in, not wanting to give him much of a chance to persuade the Colonel to be on his side.

When inside the office, Shayla was surprised. When Radar had said the Colonel was busy, she had assumed with paperwork, going through official documents, writing reports etc. Yet what Colonel Potter was actually 'busy' with was his painting. He had an easel set up in the corner and he was dabbing away at his canvas with his oil paints.

"Tell her, she can't go, Colonel." Hawkeye said.

Colonel Potter poised his paintbrush and frowned at his leading surgeon.

"You're going to have to give me more information than that, son." He said.

"We have technically got a missing patient." Hunnicut began.

Intrigued, the Colonel put his paintbrush down on the table with his paints and manoeuvred himself closer to his desk so he could use it as a temporary seat, whilst urging Hunnicut to 'Go on'. Hunnicut opened his mouth to begin the tale, but changed his mind, deciding that Shayla would tell the problem best as it was her who discovered it. He handed it over to her swiftly and she quickly summarized the situation for the Colonel's benefit.