Chapter 117

Depuis le début

"Damien..." She called out, and he looked at her with confused eyes, "You won't take Mr Paul's advice, right? You don't want to do such a thing. You don't want to let her off easily, right?"

"No! I want to make her pay! Hell, I want her to rot in jail for doing those things to you! I don't want the money they're offering. It's useless to me. I want..."

"Damien..." Madison called out, cutting his angry outburst and continued, "I know how you feel and how terrible of a person she was, but ever since I heard the news about her illness, I've been thinking too, you know. If she truly has cancer like the claims, I think she's already suffering much more. You know she might not survive it, and her days are numbered. What good will doing any of this do? If you press heavy charges and deprive her of spending her last days with her family, then what good is it? I also want her to suffer and pay for all she did to us, but then she can have a second chance. You nearly died, but you didn't. You got a second chance too."

Sighing loudly, Damien slumped back against his seat, his elbows coming to rest on the table and his hands hanging loosely between them, he just looked at her tiredly.

After several moments of silence, she finally spoke up again, her question still lingering in the air, "I know you want justice. I wish there were somehow else we could take care of this, but...." Madison trailed off, unable to find the words to describe what they both felt deep down.

"I just don't care, Maddie, and it baffles me. It's like we're just saying two opposite things, you know. I thirst for revenge, but you want us to forgive her? I mean, after all, she did to you? Wow, Madison."

"I just..." Madison started to say, but Damien interrupted yet again.

"This thirst for vengeance keeps radiating off me in waves. I want to ensure everyone knows what happens to people who hurt those we love. How dare she try to get away with things like that, and especially how dare she put innocent people in harm's way? She deserves worse, and as I told you, I won't stop till I get to the root of this. I will..." Damien stopped, his breath catching in his throat.

Shifting uncomfortably in her seat, Madison reached across the table and grasped hold of his hands once more. Her thumbs rubbed circles around his knuckles softly.

After inhaling shakily, Damien spoke again, voice raw, thick, and laced with sorrow, "How... How can I sleep tonight knowing that Katherine might get away with this? How am I supposed to stop myself from punishing her? I... She did things to you, Maddie. She almost killed me, you! What if she'd done that? What if you had died? What if I'd arrived at that beach later on?"

"But you did arrive on time. I'm alive and well, and so are you. We're both healing from our bruises, and we'll be fine. I wanted her to get punished too, but I've been thinking Damien, and honestly, I just want to let go of everything already. Let go of her, forget all about her existence and focus on us. It isn't fair that we don't get to decide her punishment, but then it's for the best."

"It baffles me that I even had anything to do with her. To think that I even made her humiliate you and... Fuck!"

Madison squeezed his hands tighter as tears began to form in her eyes, "It's okay, Damien. I'm trying to forget about all those uncouth memories, and you should too. I mean, we're healing and getting better. This is like a dream come true. There is no point in bringing her to justice when she's already suffering. The guilt will eat at her every day, and she will suffer at the cold hands of death. That's okay now, or don't you think?"

"Oh Maddie... I..."

"Let's not dwell on her anymore, okay."

"It's not easy, Maddie... I... I.." Damien muttered as he pulled his hand free from hers. Cupping her face in his hands, he brought her close.

A watery smile curved his lips as he leaned forward, pressing his lips against hers briefly and pulling away quickly afterwards.

"Okay."

"Are you sure?" Madison asked, her eyes staring intently into his, and he just nodded.

Pulling himself to the edge of his seat, Damien slowly rose from the chair and, squeezing her palms one final time; he then turned to exit the room.

Leaving a confused and very touched Madison sitting alone at the table, she stared at his retreating figure, a whimper escaping her lips.

A tear rolled down her cheeks as she pondered on the heavy sacrifice she'd just made. Deciding to forgive Katherine was hard, but it was for the best.

She was tired of holding grudges, and she just wanted to let go.

She wanted to be free!

.......

Thanks for reading. 💕