i.

6th of July, 1988 - Hayes Residence

The light summer wind rolled through a slightly opened window into the bedroom of a boy. One corner of the room, the closest to the window, had a bed with blue sheets in it. Laying in it was a boy with blue hair. On the wall parallel to it was a wall full of green as well as posters. One poster showed a moving image of a player with the number four on their jersey as well as the name 'Troy.' The player was holding a Quaffle, meaning he was a Chaser.

In another corner of the room was an opened trunk. In the trunk were some robes, a few quills, and a couple of ink bottles.

It was 9 o'clock in the morning and the boy in the bed, Declan, was still asleep. He normally slept in during the summer and today was no different except for one fact.

It was his birthday.

A sound from his window knocked him out of his sleep. Declan sat up, shirtless and with messy hair. He scrunched his nose, fixing his hair.

Declan Hayes was a rather fit 14 year old. He wasn't overweight, he was an average weight and slightly above average height at 5'11". He was lanky but not skinny.

The same sound from the window prompted Declan to get out of bed. He grabbed a shirt off of the floor and put it on before walking to the window. Only then did he remember what it was.

He rushed to open the window and let in the owl that had been poking at it. A hoot from the corner of the room interrupted him. Declan's owl, Ailwyn, had tried to get his attention. Declan let Ailwyn out of his cage and let him out the window for him to fly around. The owl that had been by the window stuck it's leg out, multiple parcels on it along with some letters.

Declan took them all off the owls leg and handed it a treat. The owl hooted respectfully before flying out of the window.

Declan opened the first letter. He looked at the name. It was from one of his best friends and dormmates, Thomas Chambers.

Hi Declan.

Happy Birthday! Lori, Allison, and I all talked and came up with a group present with three parts. The order you open them in doesn't really matter. We all know you're planning on trying out for the Quidditch team this year and we want you to be prepared.

If you want to know more, just open your presents.

I'm staying with Lori's family at the Leaky Cauldron at the start of August. I think Allison will be there too. Ask your mum if you can come as well. I'm not sure I'll be able to handle being alone with the two of them for more than a day or two.

Again, happy birthday,

Thomas

Declan put the letter down, making a mental note to ask his mum about staying at the Leaky cauldron. He picked up the parcel that was from Thomas and opened it.

Declan put his hand in and felt a couple things. The first and largest thing was a book. It was titled Quidditch Through the Ages. Another slightly smaller book was titled The Chaser's Strategies. He stuck his hand in again and felt a few quills, a bottle of ink, and a few scrolls of parchment.

The next letter was from Allison, another one of Declan's best friends. He picked up the letter and opened it.

Declan,

Happy Birthday! Sorry we couldn't be there for it. Thomas is on vacation in France so he had me send you his present. Lori made me send hers as well because she didn't want to do it on her own.

I already know the owl woke you up so your welcome for the alarm.

Anyways, Thomas, Lori, and I all got you presents that relate since you're going to be trying out for the Quidditch team this year (along with me!)