The Westerburg High Massacre

Beginne am Anfang

The moment I sat down at my desk, I was brought out of my lemon-Italy fantasy and shoved back into reality. I reluctantly pulled out my unfinished report from the Easter bomber earlier in the month. I just had a few more pages to fill out, but I kept putting it off until today. It wasn't a difficult case, in fact nothing really happened. It was quite boring, and I had much more important things to do but Fuller was egging me to finish it.

One by one, my teammates came into the chapel. I looked up at each of them to give them each a bright smile and a friendly "good morning". Doug and Ioki came in grumpy with pale faces and sunken eyes. It was easy to tell that they were suffering from hangovers, consequences of their decisions the night before.

The door finally opened and Tom came into the chapel. My face lit up when I saw him, and he immediately beamed at me with a twinkle in his magnetic brown eyes. He came up to my desk and bent down to give me a kiss. I tilted my chin up to meet his and kissed him back. Then, he whipped a bouquet of flowers out from behind his back and handed them to me with a proud smile on his face.

"Oh, Tom, that's so sweet." I took the flowers and buried my nose in their sweet floral scent. "What's this for?"

"Just because." He grinned. I don't stand a chance when he looks at me like that.

I grabbed a firm hold on his jacket and pulled him down to me. I kissed him once, twice, three times before I let him get to his own desk. I never want to let him go. I inhaled the sweet aroma of the beautiful flowers again before setting them on my desk. I was going to need to remember to bring them home after work so I can put them in a vase.

Fuller came out of his office with a thick stack of folders against his arm. He looked around to make sure the entire team was present before he asked, "are y'all ready for today?"

"Depends," Doug said wearily with a cautious squint of his eyes.

Fuller walked around and plopped our packets on our desks. He said, "all hands on deck. This one... this one is gonna be a doozy."

"What's going on, Captain?" Ioki asked just as he opened his folder.

"You will all be going undercover at Westerburg High," Fuller said.

"Where's that?" Judy asked.

I had never heard of it either. Which was refreshing, there are only so many times undercover police officers can go to Taft High and not be recognized. Word gets around so fast, I'm surprised we haven't been discovered by anyone yet.

"It's over in Washington County. A few weeks ago, a student named Allison Wayne was found dead at her boyfriend Alex Clark's home. Investigators reported it as a murder-suicide, due to its nature."

"What happened?" Ioki asked.

"They both ingested drain cleaner. It was suspected to be a suicide pact, but there was a letter found at the scene written by Allison that states that wasn't the case. She admitted to poisoning Alex, then herself."

I opened my packet and found the autopsy reports, crime scene photographs, and information about the two young victims. He was a football player and she was a pretty blonde. Two young souls taken too soon. I still don't understand how one person can do something so cruel to another human being?

"She did it?" Tom asked with his eyebrows raised. It's not very often we investigate a murderer who is a girl. But if they have already know who did it, why do they need us?

"I'm just as surprised as you. And that's not all. Just fifteen days later, another student at the same school, Julia, was found with her head smashed through her television screen in her living room while her boyfriend was upstairs taking a bath with a toaster."