15

"HOW COULD YOU BE SUCH AN IDIOT!?" I nearly fell from the impact of being slapped across the face. "I'm sorry, I was not expecting Spain to switch sides. I will fix this, I promise," I spoke. Commander Napoleon was not happy about what had happened in Portugal. What makes things worse is that not only did I lose an ally, but they had declared war on me, and I knew I would be fighting against them more than ever. We had lost thousands of men within an hour. I was nowhere to be seen because I was down.

Because of England...

Word of my defeat spread across Europe and caused people to celebrate.

However, I was not going to give up. I was going to throw everything I had toward England and Portugal. I would do everything I could to see them pay for my humiliation. "Do not fail me, Mr. France. Everyone is looking at us right now, and we need to prove that our empire is not a force to belittle..."

"Yes..."

"Good, now leave me..."

"Yes, sir..."

I nodded at him quickly, leaving his quarters. I was going back to my room for the night. He had beaten me for screwing up, and it was starting to make me feel a certain way. I was constantly winning for him, and I screwed up once...and he got angry.

I can't believe this.

No! I need to stay focused! How will I beat England if I'm feeling doubtful of Napoleon? He knows best and has gotten me to where I am now. Everyone is scared of me! They will take this win as pure luck!

I opened the door to my room and slowly walked in. I didn't have any more allies. I was all alone. Who could I ask for help? I've pretty much declared on almost everyone in Europe.

I quietly shut the door and rested my head on the door. "This might not be good for me, actually," I laughed to myself. I needed the manpower, and Spain gave me many. I supposed I could take it from Italy, but I was worried people might refuse to fight and would riot.

A weird breeze hit my skin, and my head shot around.

"What?" I spoke, confused. The window was open.

I walked over toward the window and began looking around. I didn't see anyone around, but I know for a fact that I did not leave my window open. Someone must have come in here. But who? And why?

I closed my eyes, listening.

If someone had been here, they couldn't have gotten too far unless they were still here. I don't think I'm in the mood for fighting any of those allied idiots. "Show yourself..."I spoke. I was hoping someone would come out, and I would be right toward my hunch.

I turned away from the window, hearing a step coming from behind me. There was a shadowed figure that began to emerge from the darkness of my room. "Show yourself..." I spoke. I crossed my arms, waiting for whoever it was to reveal their identity. I know it was one of them.

"I have come to talk...I don't want to fight..."

My eyes widened hearing his voice. Why would he want to come here? After what happened today? He was angry and betrayed me. I don't think I could even look at him. "You shouldn't be here...Portugal would be upset knowing you are here...with the enemy," I spoke. England finally showed himself, and I noticed how he locked my room door behind him.

"I am usually not one to talk to my enemy...but you aren't like my other enemies...Francis...what's happened to you. This is not like you..." He started. He suddenly came close to me, making me jump back. "You shouldn't be here..." I spoke sternly. He tried to grab my face to look at him, but I kept pulling away.

"Look at me when I am talking to you!" He demanded.

I froze when he raised his voice, and he managed to force me to look at him.

"I saw what Napoleon did to you when you failed. He does not care about making you great or the people happy. He wants power only for himself. Why must you be this way? You know how it can be when our minds are clouded. It happened to me during the Hundred Years, and I did not try and think for myself till our boys arrived!" He tried to say. I tried to look away from him, but he would push me back.

"Francis..."

"Don't call me that! I am Mr. France!"

England suddenly looked at me angrily. Pushing me back a little.

WACK

"Do not forget who you are! You are Francis. You will be him first, do you understand? I am sick and tired of all this fighting. I assumed you were too, but it seems that you fall easily when you have a taste of power. I know I can be ruthless, but I don't do it alone. I am forced! You, you want this! You want to kill all of these people! Knowing that it is hard to side with you. I would rather be on the side of Portugal because he has not been starting the wars."

Arthur had slapped me across the face.

All I could do was stand there, shocked that he had done that.

"Arthur...I-"

"Francis, listen to me! You need to open your eyes," he spoke. He grabbed my face again, looking at me desperately. I had started to get this conflicting feeling inside of me. It was like two sides of me were fighting against each other, but a solution was not made.

"Please...I don't want to fight you this way..." he spoke. He tilted his head, looking at me, and I slowly placed my hands on his shoulders. "You need to leave now..." I spoke. He looked at me daily and began to separate from me. "If you leave now, I won't tell anyone you were here. That way, we can avoid them seeing you as a traitor," I spoke. He nodded at me sadly, walking toward the window.

He definitely climbed through the window.

He opened the window, looking back at me. "It is at moments after I have dreamed of the are the entertainment of your eyes. I have been a fool, but dream of your fancy..." he started slowly. I walked closer to him, and he smiled at me. "With your peculiar mouth, my heart made wise, at moments when the glassy darkness holds..."

"My darling...I have a genuine apparition of your smile that causes me to fall silent..." he smiled.

"Portugal would be upset knowing you are saying these things to your enemy..." I spoke. I was struggling, struggling to keep my composure.

"He wouldn't...because they were lies...I have never favored him as I have you. However, I refuse to feel that way for you now. You must change...I know it is possible."

My eyes widened, and he began to back away from me toward my balcony.

"I do not forgive easily...so do not make it harder for me..."

"I..." I tried to say something but could not.

"Do not speak...but keep what I say in mind... I feel intolerant to the brightness of your charm," he spoke. Did he come here to charm me? Did he actually think this would get into my head? He was a bigger idiot than I realized. "Be well, Francis, so that I may be too," he spoke. My eyes widened as he jumped over the ledge, and I quickly ran to see if he was okay. I looked over the edge, seeing him descend into the darkness.

"Be well?"