𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟗

𝕋𝕙𝕖 𝔹𝕦𝕚𝕝𝕕𝕚𝕟𝕘

✃✃✃✃✃✃✃✃✃

The day had once again transformed into night. The group lay down with their backpacks as their pillows; all except William. He sat with his backpack resting on his leg, his eyes posed on his brother and Newt, who had decided to sleep near him out of concern.

His ragged breaths had complicated the simple act of walking that day. Even while taking more pauses than usual, which he was sure Minho and Thomas did only for his convenience, he couldn't calm his beating heart, wanting nothing more than exhaustion to finally make its appearance.

Nightmares could come, and he would welcome them with the same enthusiasm as the thought of resuming the walk the next day. His mind, nonetheless, accepted a bad physical reaction better when there was a reason for it. The current situation had none. The lack of sleep could be a vague explanation, but for how long? Hadn't he had sleepless nights before? Why would his mind feel cloudy, or his body incredibly heavy and difficult to move after hours awake?

Not to mention what the rest of his mind could shake off; he was scaring everyone. Newt, Chuck, and Aris had concern written on their faces the entire day. Group S, however, could barely look at him in his eyes. They averted their eyes, like they suspected something, but didn't dare to say it.

"Liam?" Thomas's faint and hoarse voice appeared in the silence of the night. "What are you doing up?"

William glanced at his friend, who was leaving Chuck's side to sit down next to him, also staring at their friends. He shrugged, the icy breeze engulfing his body, causing him to be on the brink of shivering.

"Not gonna lie, I don't want to have another nightmare," William said, his eyes leaving Newt and Aris to travel towards Chuck. "How's he doing?"

"He's pretty tired," Thomas replied, a hand scratching the back of his head. "But, he'll be alright."

Even with his jumper and jacket on, William still felt his fingers going numb. His hands were cold as ice, contrary to his stomach or neck, which were burning hot in comparison. He rummaged around in his backpack to get a scarf and wrapped it around his hands, but not even that kept them warm.

"How are you, though?" asked Thomas.

"Fine." William huffed. "You all should stop worrying. Aris and Newt are the same, and I'm pretty sure George and Rowan keep an eye on me all the time. It's creeping me out, man."

"We just don't want to lose anyone else," Thomas said, his hands fiddling with his jacket's zip. "Liam, remember I told you I saw you when I got some of my memories back?"

"Yeah, what about it?"

Thomas doubted, but soon his eyes were locked with William's. "That's not everything. Newt said I shouldn't tell you yet, but, after what you said yesterday ... I need to tell you."

"Thomas, you're scaring me. What did you remember?" William asked, his breath and heartbeat rapidly increasing with every agonising second that passed.

"You weren't just there with Teresa and me. You were our friend. I'm not sure what your relationship was, but you and Newt were more than friends, too ... when he was sent into the maze ... you were out, I don't know where ... and—"

William placed his hand on Thomas's shoulder, stopping his friend's rambling. "What is this really about, Thomas? Are you trying to excuse your 'nobody left behind' policy by telling me we were friends and that Newt and I were, maybe, something more?"