In a flash

Funny how things happen so fast.
One moment you're shoving your younger brothers phone away from your face, telling him you're uninterested in Subway Surfers, while your parents argue in the front seat for what appears to be the 30th time today, and your twin sister sits next to you with her arms crossed as she listens to music, your older sister abandoned in the very back, occasionally hopping into the parents argument and backing up your father.
The next moment most of your family is dead.

Funny how things are unexpected.

The 16 year old was unaware if he was crying or not, as he heard sirens in the distance, so close yet so far from him.
He barely saw it happen, how the car tumbled over, he saw his 3 siblings bend in unimaginable ways.
First it had been his brother, phone flew out of his hand, Nathan definitely heard something crack, had the seatbelt possibly made it worse?

Then he'd seen his older sister, who madly went from side to side in the back, barely able to scream or plead for help, she was unidentifiable.

Yet, worst of all was his twin sister.
As the car tumbled madly he'd fallen on top of her. He was part of the harm that was done.

And all for what, really?
Nathan opened his eyes, covered in blood that he was certain, mostly wasn't his own.
He saw the several people who were coming to the rescue. How humiliating this was, for him, of all people, to be in such a situation.

Nathan Meyer, top of his class, with a bright future, to be carried like he weighed nothing into an ambulance.
He felt someone wrap a blanket around him, but he was unable to hold it.

As he looked at his disfigured left hand, he heard someone yell "Broken wrist." Yet the voice sounded so distant.

Nathan found himself staring as several bodies, his own family members, were placed into body bags, only his mother had survived along with him.
Seeing his family members mangled corpses, he still felt hot tears rushing down his face. It was a burst of emotion he was completely unprepared for, yet, he also felt no emotion.

He looked down at his legs, probably sprained, with some bruises, his trousers were ripped in several places, how was he not dead?
He heard his mother's distant sobs, he turned his neck slowly to the terrible sight of his mother sobbing over his father's dead body.
She had to be carried away, and he had to be put in a body bag, Nathan watched it all happen. Had his own tears ever stopped?

In a few moments his sobbing mother was next to him, she hugged him tightly as she cried
But Nathan seemed to be numb, in shock, unsure how to process all of this, and confused.
Confused as to why, or how this happened? He must've hit his head hard on the concrete.

They'd been driving up a highway, an empty highway, with a slight curve.
Then they hit something and the car went tumbling down.
But what had they hit? The lights were far too bright. They slightly disturbed Nathan, he closed his eyes and tried to replay the very clear memory in his head.

Yet, now, it wasn't so clear anymore, in fact, nothing seemed to be clear.

-

Nathan opened his eyes slowly, he sat up, and rubbed them with his left hand.
Brightness, again.
He looked around, figuring out that he was in a hospital bed, wearing a hospital gown. Which sickened him, because it meant someone had actually taken his clothes off to put this on, he frowned and looked to his right, a bed, and his mother on it, sleeping or what? Who knew?