Chapter 13 // Falty truths.

-Some secrets are safer kept hidden. Some secrets are too dangerous to share, even with those you love and trust.-
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*rowens study*

December 13th, 2006.
Volterra, Italy.
Rowens pov.

I paced back and forth past the large arched window in my study, the heavy rain pelted against the glass, feeding into my already foul mood.

After lohar had exposed the Cullen's dirty secret, I found myself storming from the gardens to my chambers, I had no care to be around anyone at this moment, it felt as if my head was about to explode and my heart about to shatter...

I hadn't grown up close to my sister granted, but she was half of my father, half of the person I valued above all... I had a certain level of love for her, we never bickered or argued we were always civil... but she had broken the wheel of peace, she had a choice and chose wrong.

My mind reeled as I tried to formulate some kind of plan going forward.
I knew that if I kept it from the kings it would surely end in a civil war and yet if I told them, they would have no problem executing the Cullens coven as a whole, including the immortal child they had created and hidden, which would not come without resistance from the coven in question.

Whatever move I made was not a pleasant one, it irritated me to no end that I couldn't see a peaceful outcome for my situation.

I was at a crossroads, failing to perform my duties adequately.

I fell into the chair that faced the window, my head resting in my hand as I leaned against the arm, relishing in the momentary feeling of serenity as the sound of rain pattering against a hard surface soothing me, water dripped down the glass drowning me in the irony...
I had gotten my crown but at what cost?
It all seemed fruitless in the end, every move, every scheme and manipulative act... all of it, ceased to matter, because what good did it do me to serve the crown as loyally as I have?
To serve as I saw fit? To fight for my throne? To save the order from crumbling at their actions... I did it all and yet only worse was to come.

I rubbed my temple harshly, my thoughts overflowing and almost spilling out onto the stone floor. My crown was slipping and I struggled to hold it up.

"One swallow does not make a summer, neither does one fine day; similarly one day or brief time of happiness does not make a person entirely happy."

A familiar tired voice rang out behind me I snapped my head to the culprit.

"Aristotle..."

I commented as I stood to greet the king, curtsying before him.
Marcus remained still except for the small nod of acknowledgement. Straightening my posture I listened carefully as he spoke.

"I am no stranger to the constraints of the crown, I am no expert in happiness but I have known that too... you remind me of her, she was like you, she was a special kind of queen."