Chapter 2: We Dwell On Lies

Karma is a God. Karma is the breeze in my hair on the weekend. Karma's a relaxing thought.

I don't show up to the academy the next day, then after that the weekend follows.

I haven't taken much sleep since then, ten hours if my math is correct. Now the Monday sun is tickling my face, crumbling up the calm night as I drag myself out of the golden sheets barely wrinkled as I used my three hours of sleep in it, drowning in the grand size of it. I could easily fit three more people my size here and still enjoy the cotton filled pillows.

My hands are soon pulled through white silk sleeve of robe as the fabric embraces my naked body. I contemplated taking a shower, but I already did it four hours ago.

The nylon carpet feels warmer on my feet than cold beige vitrified tiles when I pass over two samo colour slipper chairs with a pattern of buttons thrust into the backrest only for a fancier look. My tea mug rests on the three legged table, it's wood painted in the similar shade as everything else while the turned off lamp rests there.

The porcelain saucer is in my hand, kept below the mug as I walk around the chair and table and exit through one of the French doors from each side that leads me to the balcony. When I sit on the chair, looking over the morning view of Seattle, it's peaceful.

I hear the creak of the double door in the bedroom open, footsteps following as I sit there, eyes closed and thoughts pushed further back as I listen to birds on the floor above.

Annoying clattering over the floor, along with forced sound if throat clearing over the doorstop means only one person. Through a tired sigh my eyes open and I answer. "What, Mia?"

She stands there, arms crossed with a raised eyebrow, like an old lady would wear when their grandchild claims they are not hungry. The shake of my head and eyebrows matching her finally makes her speak. "It's half past eight."

"And?"

"And your school starts at nine."

Of course it does.

With a groan I stand up, taking another glance at the view as I inside, Mia following behind me. I carry myself to the smaller doors, pulling it to the side to reveal a wardrobe room. I sat inside, grabbing a uniform set and the rest of needed clothing as I pulled it over my body. I find Mia still waiting on me when I step outside, walking over the vanity table and sitting down.

There are lights at the mere top of it, same as those at the edges of the room. Mia makes sure to tell me we have a maid that can easily do my makeup, but I have no intention of relying on the other for everything and soon becoming incapable of living as a normal person. She still stays after I decline, discussing some subjects with me as I stand up finishing and glancing over at the time.

There is still ten minutes to nine and the drive to the academy is slightly longer.

"Antonio will give you the money to eat later on." she tells me after we walk down the grand stairs, going in a half circle towards the ground floor. Crystal chandeliers are handing down the high ceilings, larger than any other in the mansion. We walk past two maids, nodding in greeting as we finally reach the front doors.

"There is no reason to play a mother to me."

Mia's face doesn't fall, only her lips curve down as she steps closer, putting a string of my hair, brushed by her, behind my ear. "I have to play a mother. Just as much as Arthur has to play a father."

"I'm aware, but that doesn't count when we are surrounded with people that know who we really are." I tell her, looking around and making sure all the maids and butlers are ours. Carefully chosen to play the roles of house staff.