23. He Accidentally Hurts You

He accidentally hurts you-

Hello. I know it's been a while, and I'm happy to say that I'm back! A lot has gone on in my personal life- some good things, some bad things, and even some things I'm still struggling to sort into either one of those categories. It's nice to be back though, and I'm not lying when I say that I missed being a part of this fandom and interacting with all of you. Without delay, here's the next chapter in the series!

-Leviathan

Pein-

The remains of this small outpost smoldered in the midday sun, smoke rising into the air and obscuring the blue skies above. Deidara had made quick work of this area hours ago. Now all that was left was for you and Pein to pick through the ruins and find the artifact that brought you here in the first place. Pein muttered incoherently about Deidara's "indiscriminate destruction," something you couldn't help but smile at as you picked through your own area of rubble.

The conversation stopped there however, both Pein and yourself picking up the faint pinprick noise of movement among the rubble. To the untrained ear it could have been mistaken for the further collapse of some building or another, but for the likes of you?

Child's play.

You humored the silent watcher for now. Acting completely oblivious was to your best advantage, continuing to rummage through the wreck without a care in the world. Slowly you moved further from Pein, something he acknowledged with the faintest nod in your direction. You were practically giving this hidden shinobi a perfect opportunity to pounce. Slowly you sensed him move closer as his boldness grew. He must have gone through a lot today, watching his outpost and all the people in it get demolished. Even you could admire the bravery it took for him to believe he stood a chance against you after witnessing such a display of power. Unfortunately for him, bravery did not automatically make him a formidable fighter. In a flash he had broken his cover to pounce towards you. He let out a shout as he closed the gap between the two of you, but he wasn't quite quick enough to make a difference. You had known from the start that this was his plan. Countering his sloppy "attack" was nothing, machine like precision knocking the kunai from his hands and pinning him to the ground. He fought hard against your grip, wriggling even as the cold steel of a kunai threatened the back of his neck.

" You dirty Akatsuki scum, you deserve death! There were innocent men and women here!"

Tears dropped from his face as he spoke. You had to hand it to the guy, he truly was doing the best he could do given the circumstances. Untrained, unprepared... soft and unfit for battle. Pathetic and heart wrenching to watch.

" I'll cut you a deal," you began, giving your words the time to sink in. " Tell me where the artifact is, and I'll let you loose."

You could tell he was thinking hard on the matter. He hadn't so much as moved, eyes screwed shut against the world around him.

" My friends died because of this artifact." He hissed.

" I won't deny that. Had this artifact not been here, they would all still be alive today." You replied.

Misery. Pure misery radiated from this man, his forehead protector growing dirty as it separated him from the gravel and ash below. You wondered what his decision would be, the backs of his arm still tight in your grasp. His silence was testing your patience however, a ginger " Have you made your decision?" serving as a reminder of the danger he was in. You may be merciful, but you were still a criminal on a mission. A final sigh seemed to be the marker that this shinobi had made his choice.

" I have a family to go home to. I'll show you where the artifact was hidden."

" Good choice." you muttered, releasing his arms from where they had been pinned behind his backs. Pein had come to observe the commotion at this point, watching the shinobi with sharp eyes as he rose to his full height and dusted himself off. You wondered momentarily if he would try to run, or maybe if he'd turn around and try to fight. He looked to tired and beat down to do either. This man offered no suprises though as he slowly made his way to a different area of ruin, standing above the shouldering head with all the dignity and composure he could manage.