Chapter 3: Broken Mirror

My mind fell into a comforting and dreamless sleep. The moment seemed to end in seconds despite waking up by about five in the afternoon. I groaned as I reluctantly got up, wanting to keep in the comforting and soft embrace of the bed. I stretched with a sigh of annoyance and got fresh clothes on, a pair of jeans and a navy blue shirt, both wrinkled from being shoved into the drawers after being cleaned. After dressing, I headed down, if I'm lucky I may be fortunate enough to meet with Amanda again and not another of the boys here, most men with this burden with females thrown in the mix normally unintentionally. I passed the people of my pack, those I guide like family and cherish despite lack of blood, we protect. They learned over the years saw me as the impression my father enforced.

It was a rare sight that they still saw what I was, an outcast from the lousy "ruler" we had. Following like a dragged beast by chain wanting nothing more than to tear them apart. But it would be useless to bother. He thinks he will be on this heavenly pedestal that he gave himself, unphased by the fear or rage of others. A cowardly man that refuses the respect he should give his people for the anarchy caused to close. He will always be a thorn in my side till death where I will shun his name in such poison as he gave people so they can see that I would never wish to be like him, being a father is unworthy of his label. A disgusting man with only pride and strength as his sword and shield in a world where he will darken the hopes of those around him.

My unwilling and now grim bride was in the kitchen as I'd entered, annoyed by some member of her pack hating that she made move on him despite marriage. I gave her a pitied glance and go to the fridge, people coming and going as they wish, Abigale still bickering with her friend, ignoring my presence as I did to her. Pulling out the tender and marinated flesh of the rabbit from this morning I was pleased to find it untouched. Grabbing supplies to cook, Abigale's friend, Maddy, glanced at me, her friend whom I had to "learn to love" following her gaze.

"Didn't see you as one to cook Romeo-", the girl beside her chirped, faded from blond to brown hair reminding of fallen leaves, fading from yellow to aged rot of brown during cold falls.

I rolled my eyes, Abigale smiling softly to me, "Seems old dogs can learn new tricks."

That phrase... Was so degrading... I glare at them, "Dare call me old when I share the age of you two again and I'll rip you to shreds. I knew how to cook idiotic brats!"

They both tensed as I rolled my eyes, preparing to cook the fresh game. I sighed, letting my frustrations out on the cutting board with several rough and swift chops. The girls left moments after, feeling unsafe in the situation judging by my clear agitation and hunger. I added butter and the cubed rabbit to a large pan, cooking the heavenly-smelling meal, and luring some of the younger scavengers that asked if they could try it later. I simply snapped that they had to get more rabbits and perhaps I may make some later after another brine.

I enjoyed cooking meals like this, having a sharpened skill to feed the seemingly neverending hunger and release tension through the hunt required to get the fresher meat to use. I plated it on two plates, using what was left of the greatly flavored fats in the pan to cook some sides of diced potatoes and peppers as well. When it was all finished, adding a sprinkle of salt and peppers to the veggies, I head to the room of my beloved crush. She could never love me, but I would at least return the favor of pleasant company this morning.

I knocked on the door, holding the plates as I heard an exhausted huff from behind the door to her room. A minute after I see her with a messy bun for her luxurious curls, all held up with a pencil, "Morning, Fluffball... Here to interrupt my work again?"

She was joking and had a sleepy smile. I blush, offering a plate, "Nah... But I made you a bite to eat. Hope I didn't interrupt anything too important?"

"Nah but I still need to do my hair was all"

I nod, moving a singular strand of her waves of hair, being reflective of light in a shimmering display before me, "Looks nice as it is though..."

She blushed and brushed off my hand, "Thanks but I still have a few touches..."

I smiled softly, "Enjoy dinner Doll..."

With that, I left for my room to have my meal. Hopefully, It meets her expectations and we can cook together again sometime. I smiled at the thought, heading to my room and blocking the windows, not wishing to be disturbed by simple moonlight all for having it revealed soon as I ate. The delectable meal was quickly finished, the dish tossed onto a side table as my thoughts wander again to where I am in life. A miserable yet heavenly illusion that I resided in as a cage. Such lovely imprisonment I have no choice but to find a home in.

I try to find some brightness in the grim interior of my room. The darkened walls with cracks in a corner above the door... The random white sheets that were practically thrown onto the windows to block out the moon from where I ate... The messy floor, cluttered with items I had been gifted and had no room for... A grim reality... With such hollow joys... Though at least my troubles brought a few following friends that haven't just left for good yet.

I can at least pray for them to be here in the end... I go to the full body mirror in the corner beside the closet, groaning as I look to the cracks from lone nights where anger and sadness bested me or the blood from the aftermath was still engraving itself deep into the cracks and creases. I then look at my jagged reflection... A man with dirty blonde hair... A tired face... And a navy-colored shirt... Coldly staring back in disgust.

It was a wonder how people look at me in comfort and pride over rage and fear like my father... After all... A large quantity think that I want that! To be seen like that disgusting man... A man who used his dead bride to taunt his child to be exactly as ordered like some mutt that he never desired but uses to relieve himself of his failures. Vile to watch or hear from and an annoyance to live with. One day though I shall "rule" as he puts it... The ruling will end... We will be people who follow as we wish. Love as we've hoped. Live in the light like we once had to be free of our cursed beastly forms!... Eventually... Eventually, I will leave his soul to burn as it deserved...

With those thoughts in my mind, I punched the mirror again as I have dozens of times since youth, hating the present that throws my future further and further into holes to seem unreachable. I however refuse to cease my efforts to aid us all. As a pack leader should. Guiding the family to the path of hope to finally be shown rather than hidden in dark. I shall change the path to as those above me have hoped for and guided. I hissed to the familiar sting of glass in my fist, the crimson fluid dripping to the floor among the small chips and shards of glass, released from the mirror.

My idiocy of disgust for my father and regrets get me again... Another night of bandaged paw. mirror having a hole from no longer being able to keep its fractured bits intact to be as required. A relating shot of guilt goes through me, falling to release tears, my damaged hand tracing the antique frame and further staining it with its now red-hued splatterings of blood. More bits fall as I move back as if the glass wished to feel used for a final dance before it, at last, gets discarded. I get to my feet and rush to the bathroom, hiding in shame of my scarred hand and pained spirit.

I have now a mess to clean... Having a pleasant meal... Having only myself for thought... There is much to improve upon before I am to lead...