Chapter 22

Vijay's POV

Karan takes a left turn and comes to a stop in front of the office building. It's a tech company, Adhiraj Technologies. This is where Vidya works.

We walk to the door and a guard greets us with a salute.

"Ankith Adhiraj office ekkada?" I ask.

"Where is Ankith Adhiraj's office?" I ask.

"Choopisthanu, randi sir." He says, leading us into the office.

"I will show you, come sir." He says, leading us into the office.

He stops at a door and knocks on it.

"Come in." We hear from inside.

The guard opens the door and gestures us in. I smile and nod in thanks and we walk into the room before the guard closes the door and leaves.

"How can I help you sir?" Ankith looks up from his computer.

"ACP Vijay IPS." I introduce myself.

"Sir, please sit." He says, standing up and gesturing to the chairs. "Can I get you anything sit? Tea, coffee, cool drink?"

"Em vaddu, thanks. Memu vasthunnattu meeku chepparanukunta kada." I ask.

"We don't want anything, thank you. You were informed that we were coming, right." I ask.

"Yeah, yes sir." Ankith replies. "What would you like to know sir?"

"Vidya ekkada pani chesthundi?"

"Where does Vidya work?"

"Randi sir, choopistha."

"Come sir, I'll show you."

He leads us through the office and brings us to an empty cubicle. The employees are all staring at us but I don't mind them as I put on gloves and start looking through the cubicle for anything that might hint as to what might've happened to Vidya.

****

By the time I finish checking Vidya's cubicle, the time is already 8 pm. I found nothing to point me in the right direction and I am very irritated.

I walk out and close my eyes as a soft breeze welcomes me in the night. I look up and spot cameras.

"Aa raatri nunchi cameras footage choopinchara." I ask Ankith.

"Can you show me the camera footage from that night." I ask Ankith.

"Sure sir." Ankith says, leading me into the security station.

He pulls the footage from the night Vidya went missing. She walked out of office at 8:30pm and waved to the guard. Then, she stood there, talking on her phone. When she ended her call and put her phone into her bag, she turns right and starts walking before going off camera.

"Ekkadikki poyindi? Next camera choopinchandi." I ask.

"Where did she go? Show me the next camera." I ask

The security guard goes to the next camera footage but she's not there.

"Sir, ee footage meeda time stamp choodandi." Karan says, pointing to the screen.

"Sir, look at the time stamp on this footage." Karan says, pointing to the screen.

I look at it and see that the time stamp says 9:06pm.

"Mundu footage ending time choopinchandi." I say.

"Show me the ending time in the previous footage." I say.

He goes to the previous footage and I see that the ending time is 8:46pm.

"Next camera footage 9:06 nunchi record ayyindi enti? 8:46 nunchi 9:06 madhya footage ekkada?" I ask.

"Why is the next camera footage recorded from 9:06? Where is the footage between 8:46 and 9:06?" I ask.

"Sir, adi, aa time lo current poyindi sir." Ankith says.

"Sir, during that time we lost power sir." Ankith says.

"Intha pedda tech company, backup generators leva?" I ask, frustrated.

"Such a big tech company, don't you have backup generators?" I ask, frustrated.

"Unnayi sir kaani avi office lo unna computers, internet, laani vaatini running lo uncheke pani chesthayi. Security cameras ki hook up cheyyaledu, waste ani." he replies, turning a bit red.

"We have them sir, but they work to keep the computers, internet, and stuff like that in the office running. We didn't hook them up to the security cameras because they're waste." he replies, turning a bit red.

"Shit!" I shout angrily.

I walk out of the security guard's office with Karan running to catch up. I come to a stop at the main gate and look around the area. There isn't much around, a couple small shops, but that's about it.

"Karan, da." I say.

"Karan, come." I say.

I turn right and start walking in the direction that Vidya was walking that day, along the road. To the right is woods and the left has a few small shops. There is quite a bit of traffic along the road and it's 8:55, meaning there must've been some traffic on this road when Vidya walked here.

We keep walking along the road. I look to the side and see an ATM.

"Karan, aa ATM camera footage naaku kaavali." I say, pointing to the ATM.

"Karan, I want that ATM camera footage." I say, pointing to the ATM.

"Yes sir." Karan replies before leaving to make a call.

He comes back 10 minutes later with the footage.

"Idigondi sir." He says, handing me his phone.

"Here sir." He says, handing me his phone.

I take the phone and look through the footage from 8:46pm and onwards but there is no sign of Vidya on the footage, meaning she had to have gotten into a vehicle between that time.

I close my eyes and stand still, listening to the sounds around me and thinking, trying to sort through the many questions in my head.

Did she get kidnapped? Did she elope? What happened that night between the office and the ATM that are not even 2 kilometers(close to 1 mile) apart?

Hey guys! I know, short chapter, but hope you enjoyed it! Let me know your thoughts!