Interlude V: Housework

"You do know that I'm not the only one who lives here?" Sakura said.

She stood before Itachi, her hands on her hips, her eyes narrowed and frustrated. She had a white apron on over her clothes and a ladle in one hand.

Itachi looked up from the scroll in his hand and frowned.

"I believe that's obvious."

She took a very deep, slow breath, closed her eyes

"Itachi. If you don't want me to punch you into next week, I suggest that you clean up this mess before I clean you up."

Itachi saw the look on her face - one that had made Shisui tremble with fear, that had caused Naruto to backtracked on whatever he had said - and met it with an even expression of his own. He looked from her to the scrolls around him. Most of them had not been opened by him. Itachi was not in the habit of leaving unraveled, sensitive scrolls around. In fact, his eyes shifted to the small pile of rolled scrolls on the table in front of him, he had been cleaning up after himself.

"I believe this mess was left behind by you, Sakura," Itachi said calmly, although he knew she was going to blow up.

Her eyes narrowed further and her grip on the ladle tightened. She gave him a wicked smile.

"Itachi, have I not been giving your eyes enough treatment?"

"More than enough," he responded.

"Then is it too difficult for you to see that I have been doing almost all the housework since we arrived here?"

Itachi considered.

"Not particularly. I admit you have done quite a lot."

"Exactly. And while I do more, like keep cooking your dinner for tonight, airing out the futon, cleaning in the kitchen, can you just make sure that you contribute a little more to the collective instead of just yourself?"

If Itachi had a chance, he would go back in time and make sure that Sakura spent a little less time with his mother. She sounded far too like Mikoto, which meant they had spent way too much time together talking about the household. He wondered how much his mother had complained about doing the housework, because now that he thought about it, he didn't remember doing much more than keep his own things clean and he never saw his father do much either.

He did have to admit, Sakura's face and aura were intimidating. Her plastered smile made her seem like she ought to have fangs instead of the teeth she did have. He didn't think it would be healthy to argue with her.

He nodded.

"Yes, of course," he replied.

She stared at him for a moment longer, scrutinising him to see if he was lying or mocking her. Satisfied, she gave a short nod and returned to the kitchen, the smell of dinner wafting in the room after her.

A knock at the door had Itachi placing the scroll he was reading down. Before he could stand, Tobirama walked into the house. Itachi looked him up and down, his gaze lingered on the shoes.

Sakura appeared again.

"Ever heard of waiting for the door to be opened?" She asked with sarcasm.

Itachi sat patiently and waited. She would notice soon.

"Apologies," Tobirama said.

He didn't sound sincere. Itachi began to roll up the scrolls around him.

"I have a message from Hashirama."

Sakura tapped her foot on the floor.

"Well?"

A small pile of neatly rolled scrolls was being collected. Itachi picked up the last scroll with some hesitation. It was obscuring Sakura's view from Tobirama's feet.

Better him than me, Itachi thought with some amusement and pity.

"He'd like to invite you for dinner," Tobirama said.

Sakura huffed.

"Well, unfortunately, dinner is being cooked," she signaled at her apron. "So we decline."

"Tomorrow then," Tobirama said, taking a step further into the house now that the scroll wasn't in the way anymore.

Big mistake, Itachi thought.

Sakura was about to answer when her eye caught a glimpse of his feet.

"Run," Itachi murmured quietly.

Tobirama looked at him and frowned with confusion.

Itachi nodded at his feet.

"Run," he said again.

Tobirama looked down and then behind him, before looking back up at Sakura. His boots were covered in mud, the floor was dirtied with his mess. An aura that was frighteningly demonic rose around Sakura.

Itachi watched as understanding and fear crossed Tobirama's face, and then the two of them were gone.

Itachi made certain the house was spotless and dinner was served when Sakura returned later - without her ladle.

The next day, Itachi and Sakura went for dinner at Hashirama's. Itachi didn't ask how Tobirama had received a ladle sized blue-black bruise on his cheek, or where the rumours of a ladle-wielding demon had come from.

He was only too aware.

Better him than me, Itachi thought again, smiling.