Chapter 8: Overworking

922 frowned slightly as he waited for 154 to come out and eat. It's been quite some time already, and 001 had already finished his meal ages ago...

922 gritted his teeth slightly in frustration. 154 was just... terrible in that regard... never coming out to eat on time...

And recently he was eating less and less...

Sighing to himself, 922 went to go look for 154.

One step at a time.

Bad habits were hard to kick, especially with how neurotic 154 was...

But at least, he thought that 154 was getting better at taking care of himself. Even if he didn't eat too much, he was still eating something, which was a huge improvement from when 922 had just started working with him.

Of course, 922 would still have to go fetch him when 154 was particularly swamped with paperwork, or was engrossed in a book, but otherwise, 154 was actually quite punctual and actually came out for breakfast, lunch and dinner at the stipulated times.

And even when 922 had to go call him, 154 would dutifully respond, either immediately putting his book down, or insisting on finishing that particularly nasty piece of paperwork first (922 would allow that; putting something down halfway and coming back to it, having to reread the entire document again in order figure out where it had been left off, was just a waste of time and energy).

Yeah, 922 would take things slowly, and just try to stop that guy from burning himself out.

He stopped outside 154's door.

That idiot was probably busy doing paperwork...

Wait, that shouldn't be the case... their Boss literally confiscated all of 154's paperwork and told him to chill for a bit...

Then maybe he was reading a particularly interesting book, if 154 found something that really grabbed his attention?

Knocking gently, 922 called out, "Hey! 154! Your food's cold!"

...

Silence.

Wen Yuan couldn't hear anything at all.

Not the usual sound of 154 putting down his pen, or shuffling over to open the door...

Or even 154 just yelling to give him a few more minutes...

It was quiet. Too quiet.

He knocked on the door again.

Still no response...

Wen Yuan couldn't help the feeling of worry that bubbled up from the depths of his very being...

He knew that this was an invasion of privacy, and that 154 was probably going to yell at him... but Wen Yuan turned the door knob and pushed it open.

He found 154 resting on his arms, a book covering his face as he slumped over by his desk.

That little knot in Wen Yuan's heart unraveled slightly.

Ah, he actually fell asleep, for once. He really needs to sleep more...

Wen Yuan quietly crept over, watching as 154's body slowly rose and fell in time to his breathing. Peering down at the book that was covering the younger man's face, 922 reached out to pick it up... and couldn't stop himself from looking at the cover.

"..."

Why the fuck was 154 reading the Invigilator's Manual, of all things!?

It wasn't like his memory was bad... and he was the one that everyone, even Qin Jiu, turned to whenever they needed to check the rules, or looking up a fellow invigilator's code.