Chapter 9: Sick Leave

154 rolled over slightly, resting his cheek against his pillow.

Normally, people didn't like having warm pillows, but 154's body temperature was naturally cooler, so he prefered to seek out warmth instead.

He felt a hand carding through his hair, blunt nails gently scraping against his scalp, and he was still sleepy, he couldn't help himself from letting out a small noise of contentment.

154 heard a small, amused snort, and he blinked, slowly opening his eyes.

He found 922 looked down at him, smiling brightly as he continued patting his head gently.

"Morning." He chirped, "Feeling better?"

It was too early for this. 154 let out a quiet hum as he turned... only to realize he was using 922's leg as a pillow.

Fuck. He was absolutely mortified.

No wonder it was so very nice and warm...

Luckily, 922 was nice, and didn't comment on it as 154 pushed himself up, stretching as he yawned.

"Your fever went down last night..." 922 stated, pressed his hand against 154's forehead, just to check his temperature again.

Oh yeah... he had been sick...

"But Boss and I both agreed to let you sleep in. The exam can pretty much run itself anyways. I don't even know why the System needs invigilators if it can just teleport people all around." Wen Yuan shook his head, "But enough about the exams. This one is ending tomorrow."

154 nodded, and moved to stand up, "Did you... stay the entire night?"

"Hmm? Yeah." Wen Yuan grinned, and 154 felt his heart melting, "Had to make sure you were okay. You know you have the tendency to overwork, right? When's the last time you've gotten some proper rest?"

154 blinked.

Come to think of it, how long has it been since he had woken up, well rested and refreshed...

... Oh yeah, pretty much never.

He was simply a program and not an actual person that required such rest to function, and he had other priorities as well-

"Oh, hell no. No work for you." 922 huffed, "And stop reading the Invigilator's Manual. We all know you've probably memorized that book by heart by now. Forget about your work for now. The exam is ending soon, anyways, you should pack your stuff."

154 just rolled his eyes, but obliged. If he had a choice... he didn't really want to think about the exams either.

He may used to be a part of the System that invigilated these exams... but he hated invigilating just as much as all the other invigilators.

Every single exam was a reminder that his existence was perpetuated by this endless cycle of pain and desperation, of torment and death.

And that as an artificial being, the only way 154 could end this cycle would also result in his own demise. He would no longer cease to exist... but he had nothing much to live for anyways.

...

His heart throbbed at the thought.

This wasn't news to him, and he had already made up his choice to try and finish what his brother started once he realized why he had been kicked out...

And yet, now, oddly enough, that very same thought had hurt him more than he expected.

He may not truly exist... but he selfishly wanted to continued living.