|Chapter 1|

"Zoe, come back inside!" Annabeth yelled. Zoe looked back at her house, which sat on the sandiest, most scenic spot on the beach, and back at the ocean. She was standing halfway between both. Her stormy grey eyes darted between the two locations. The ocean was cold at this hour and choppy with waves. Her house was warm, and dinner was on the table. The house was definitely the better option to choose. 

She chose the ocean. 

"Zoe!" her mom yelled again, but Zoe didn't hear her as she ran towards the water. She dove under the surface and opened her eyes to see the colorful array of hidden fish, coral, and plants. She had never wondered why the saltwater didn't sting her eyes - it just didn't.

Zoe watched her dark hair float in the water around her and dreaded when her mom would come out to get her. However, no such summons came, and Zoe spent the next few minutes blowing bubbles and doing backflips under the water, only coming up a few times for air.

Inside the cozy house, Annabeth was trying to force-feed Zoe's five-year-old brother, Luke, his vegetables. "Percy, go get Zoe!" she yelled at her husband, who was in their room, taking a nap. Percy yawned and came into the kitchen. He looked out the window to see his oldest daughter frolicking in the waves. He laughed.

"She's got good taste, that's for sure," he said. Annabeth rolled her eyes and flicked a carrot at him. Percy caught it in his mouth and headed out the front door. 

"Zoe, it's time to come inside for dinner," he told her, standing a few feet from the ocean's surface. Although every instinct in his body was to jump in the salty waves and swim to his heart's content, he resisted. For once in his life, he had to be a good example.

Zoe's head popped out of the water. She frowned. Her soggy brown hair was covering her face. "Just five more minutes!" she begged. Percy laughed. "Dinner's ready," he said. "Let's go."

"No way!" Zoe yelled, and dove under the surface, being stubborn. A small wave surged past the tidal line and crashed into Percy, knocking him off his feet and into the sand. 

Percy's eyes went wide. He hadn't told the ocean to do that. The wave had gone past where it should have been at that hour. There was only one explanation. After all, he thought, she's twelve. And she loves the ocean as much as I do. Her connection is unmistakable.

"Zoe, get inside. Now," her father commanded. Zoe slowly got out of the water and trudged toward the house with Percy hot on her heels. He rarely spoke like that, and when he did, things were usually serious. But what could be so serious about her wanting to stay a little extra longer?

All through dinner, Percy's smile seemed forced. Silena, their other daughter who was nine years old, looked at her father through a curtain of blond hair. She knew something was up. She had a knack for knowing others' feelings, and could feel Percy's fear, sadness, and disbelief. 

After dinner, she confronted her father. "Dad, I know something happened with Zoe," she said. "Tell me." Percy ran a hand through his dark hair.

"Silena, Zoe might have to go away to...a summer camp of some sort," he confessed. "I'm going to talk to your mom about it. Don't be worried, everything will be okay." Silena narrowed her grey-blue eyes. 

"It's hard not to worry when you're worried yourself," she countered angrily, and stormed off to the room that she and Zoe shared. Percy looked after his middle child in disbelief. Silena was definitely the gentlest and most mature of his three kids. She never stormed off. He sighed, disappointed. 

After the kids had gone to bed, Percy talked to Annabeth in their room with the door locked tight. "The time has come," he said, and explained what had happened on the beach. "She needs to go - the monsters wait for no one. She'll be safer at Camp Half-Blood."

A/N

I hope you all like this new fanfic! I have always wanted to write a story about Percy and Annabeth's kid(s), so here we are! Do you have any suggestions or critiques, ideas, or things you predict will happen? Put them down in the comments below! -SabineWren26