Chapter 44

Chapter 44

Cassian felt the power of all seven siphons surge through him at the sight of Tamlin. The legs of his chair scraped against the polished floor, though he didn't care for any marks it might leave. His arm shot out to the left as he stood, covering Arwen from the High Lord of Spring, his other dropping down to the blade lodged at his thigh. His wings tightened to his back, prepared to move in any which way he needed.

"I-I c... Can't." Cassian finished her words inside his head. I can't be here.

Tamlin stood before the long table and seemed to be taking in them as they took in him.

Rhysand had stood at the same time as Cassian and dark power rippled through the chamber. "How dare you bring him here." Barely a whisper, yet it struck louder than anything else in the War Room.

Thesan stood, his fingers pressing into the stone table. "He's not supposed to be here until tomorrow, well after you had left."

"You know what he did to my family," Rhysand hissed. "You know what he did to my mother. My sister sits right in front of you. Yet you still invite him here. Behind my back, thinking that I would not find out!"

"My personal relationships with other courts is not your business!" Thesan growled in return.

Cassian still hadn't taken his eyes off the blonde High Lord who had not moved. But those green eyes had fallen down onto Arwen. Cassian took the half-step forward that he could, thighs pressing into the table and blocking her from Tamlin's view.

"Let's not forget what you did to my family," Tamlin's voice cut through once his stare became broken.

Cassian barely restrained himself from launching forward. Tamlin's family? It was Rhys's—it was Cassian's family that had been betrayed. A mother to him slaughtered and a sister pinned down and tortured. He was prepared to slaughter blood as soon as Rhysand gave the command. 

He looked down at Arwen who remained the only one other than Helion to remain seated. But where Helion was keeping a backseat (even his companions rising at the sense of threat), Arwen sat frozen. She didn't move. Didn't blink. Just stared in the direction of Tamlin, seized by such a haunted terror that Cassian knew he would be ripping limbs if they didn't leave soon. Rhysand had a tight grip on the back of her neck, holding her to his side as he stood over her. Ready to move her at a moment's notice, or jump in front of her in less.

Rhysand raised his other arm, a single finger pointed in threat. "You take one step closer and you'll see that family again. You can forget the meeting," Rhysand barked at Thesan. He pulled Arwen from her seat, who stumbled towards him, still staring at nothing. Cassian kept close to their side, constantly smothering his urge to attack in favour of remaining on defence. "And you can forget any talks of military alliance."

Rhysand tucked Arwen into his side, shooting Cassian a look that silently communicated his order. He gripped his High Lord's shoulder and they winnowed out of the Dawn Court.

It only took three winnowing leaps until they made it back to Velaris. Cassian let out a vulgar yell as they appeared mid-sky before his wings snapped into action. Rhysand was already feet ahead of him, carrying Arwen who was not holding him back. They flew to the House of Wind. Cassian landed rather harshly as Rhysand settled Arwen on her feet.

"Fuck," Rhysand hissed. He grasped either side of her head, glaring over the top of it as he kissed her hair before softening his face with a slight crouch to look at her. "Arwen? Sweetheart?"

Arwen didn't meet his eye. Didn't even seem to be seeing him. She just stared at his chest with the same look in her eye that Cassian had seen in the War Room. Cassian took a step forward but halted immediately when Rhysand shot his hand out and glared at him. Cassian lifted his hands to show his obedience.